• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sterilite Bioactive Hatchling Enclosure

SewerGator

Hello my fellow tegu enthusiasts! Still kinda new here but I've done the most of my research on this site. Just put together an enclosure for a hatcling I'll be purchasing from Mr. Irwin as soon as his eggs hatch. It's a sterilite tub, cant remember the dimensions but its close to a 40 gal breeder in size.

I used a dremel to cut out half of the lid and used a half inch screen glued on with lock tite. For the lighting I'm using a 160watt zoo med solar glo (heat/uvb), and for night heat a zoo med 50watt infrared heat bulb. Temp on the basking stone is a nice 110 and goes down to 74 on the cool side. For substrate I'm using a mixture of 70% eco earth and 30% said soil mixture from the local state park (lots of tank janitors in there) and topped off with a layer of cypress mulch. I used about a foot and a half of plastic air duct under the substrate as a makeshift tunnel and I put a bunch of holes in it so some humidity can get in there. I wound up having to move the water dish and lowering the basking stone to adjust the heat suitably and I'll have to get a smaller dish so I won't inadvertently drown my gu.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and all criticism is good criticism!

20170602_163616_HDR.jpg 20170602_163627_HDR.jpg 20170602_163703_HDR.jpg 20170603_161716_HDR.jpg 20170604_113733_HDR.jpg 20170604_134256_HDR.jpg 20170604_134312_HDR.jpg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It sounds good. I like the way you made a hide for him. Perfect actually. Used the coolness of the substrate. Good luck!
Hello my fellow tegu enthusiasts! Still kinda new here but I've done the most of my research on this site. Just put together an enclosure for a hatcling I'll be purchasing from Mr. Irwin as soon as his eggs hatch. It's a sterilite tub, cant remember the dimensions but its close to a 40 gal breeder in size.

I used a dremel to cut out half of the lid and used a half inch screen glued on with lock tite. For the lighting I'm using a 160watt zoo med solar glo (heat/uvb), and for night heat a zoo med 50watt infrared heat bulb. Temp on the basking stone is a nice 110 and goes down to 74 on the cool side. For substrate I'm using a mixture of 70% eco earth and 30% said soil mixture from the local state park (lots of tank janitors in there) and topped off with a layer of cypress mulch. I used about a foot and a half of plastic air duct under the substrate as a makeshift tunnel and I put a bunch of holes in it so some humidity can get in there. I wound up having to move the water dish and lowering the basking stone to adjust the heat suitably and I'll have to get a smaller dish so I won't inadvertently drown my gu.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and all criticism is good criticism!

View attachment 11979 View attachment 11980 View attachment 11981 View attachment 11982 View attachment 11983 View attachment 11984 View attachment 11985
t

SewerGator

Thank you Walter1! I actually learned alot from reading your replies on the threads so your complement is deeply appreciated! I'm kinda nervous about my hatchlings arrival like a new dad lol... Quick question though. Do tegus forage? I'm thinking about adding earthworms into the substrate so he or she may dig for a snack here and there.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thank you Walter1! I actually learned alot from reading your replies on the threads so your complement is deeply appreciated! I'm kinda nervous about my hatchlings arrival like a new dad lol... Quick question though. Do tegus forage? I'm thinking about adding earthworms into the substrate so he or she may dig for a snack here and there.
You're very welcome. You know, I don't know about earthworms. They're very nutritious, and tegus actively forage, and search would be good for their well-being. My question to the forum is if any risk of parasites?

SewerGator

That's a good question and i think i might be able to weigh in on that. I've been keeping a colony of earthworms in my ball pythons bioactive viv for the last 5 months with no problems. I mist the tank every night and every morning as i turn the viv lights on i catch them crawling back under. They are doing pretty well for some bait worms from the gas station lol

Here's a pic of the viv
20170409_073108_HDR.jpg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's a good question and i think i might be able to weigh in on that. I've been keeping a colony of earthworms in my ball pythons bioactive viv for the last 5 months with no problems. I mist the tank every night and every morning as i turn the viv lights on i catch them crawling back under. They are doing pretty well for some bait worms from the gas station lol

Here's a pic of the viv
View attachment 11990
That's an interesting approach to bioavtive set-ups. In the case of tegus, they'd eat them and possibly pick up parasites??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced