• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sub adult black flame tegu hissing

Seanmurphy_94

I just bought this magnificent creature and the first day he was fine with being handled. I put him in his enclosure. The next day I started petting him slow and gently and he started hissing or deep breathing. He has been doing this for two days. My question is should I try to handle him if he is behaving like that? His previous owner said he was pretty tame but a little skittish never bit him. So should I just take it day by day and wait till he stops the hissing?
Thanks

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I just bought this magnificent creature and the first day he was fine with being handled. I put him in his enclosure. The next day I started petting him slow and gently and he started hissing or deep breathing. He has been doing this for two days. My question is should I try to handle him if he is behaving like that? His previous owner said he was pretty tame but a little skittish never bit him. So should I just take it day by day and wait till he stops the hissing?
Thanks
First day they'll often eat and be very docile then become reclusive and not eat for a week. That's typical as they adjust to their new place. Give him his space for a week without handling:petting him but certainly good if he sees you around if he's out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi