• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Rescue

scotty93801

5 Year Member
I recently Visited a Pet store that it's sign read T and T reptiles
and Fish store.
I went in to find the reptiles and the only thing I seen was a Red Tegu that looked horrible atleast 3 incomplete sheds no heat and
no water anywhere.
I asked the owner if I could get him out and he said to be careful because it was mean and it cost $1000.00 . For a red tegu !!!!
So I get it out and it's not bad at all a little hissy but in those conditions I would be hissy too.
Then he proceeds to tell me it's a female. I told him no way not with jowles like that and the to protruding bumps beside the vent.
After talking to him he said he would take 175.00 . So I will probably going to bring him home tomorrow.
I really don't think he will last much longer in those conditions.
So my question is whats your opinion on paying for a rescue.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Don't. You shouldn't support people who mistreat animals. He'll just replace it with another tegu that will eventually need a home. It's a hard fact that I've struggled with myself many times.

You should use your money support ethical breeders. Hmmm....I thought I remember someone in this neck of the woods who breeds them, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe Bobby knows of someone who breeds tegus... (just kidding Bobby lol)

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I should also add that my first monitor was a dumerils I got as a "paid rescue". It was a full grown female in a 75 gallon aquarium with a 3.5 ft nile monitor. I felt so bad that I had to rescue her. She looked horrible from day one. Sadly, she eventually died of liver failure. It kills me to this day. That was one of my favorite pets.

Don't make the same mistake I made. I have a broken heart, and that jerk has $275 of my dollars that he doesn't deserve.

-Chris

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I commend your efforts and feel that if you are comfortable in paying the money, then do so. It's your hard earn money and choice. Bare in mind the ups or downs that may come along with such a purchase. It seems like the owner was open to conversation? Maybe you could explain the special attention and needs the tegu will need and get support from him (ie. food discounts, supplies) or a even lower cost for the animal. Highly unlikely, but sometimes people can surprise you. It's really hard to help the helpless and when given the chance I think you should.

scotty93801

5 Year Member
Money is not the issue I know how to earn more . But the tegu is pretty much helpless and I already have 5 of them so whats 1 more . lol I think I will feel worse if I do nothing at all.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Meh, I hate "paid rescues", but I guess if he is moving away from reptiles, you aren't really supporting his bad reptile husbandry, you are more helping him stop...still, it's your money. Whether or not it was right, I would probably end up bringing him home. And I MEAN I...I'm not giving that part as advice. That's what "I" would do.

gebris353

5 Year Member
I agree, I just cant see them in those conditions. Cant even see a dog moving his tail without petting him so yeah, go for it, you are doing a really nice action there, and about the money the guy is getting just think it will "help" his fishes at least, just to not be so negative about it.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience ShiftyLarry but we humans dont get the idea till we do it by ourself, and I'm very stubborn about helping an animal despite what I can feel in the future, what wont be sadness if I tried my best to help him, just like Scotty is doing now. ;)

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
Hmm thats a tough one, maybee instead you can call a local animal cruelty place and report him and possibly they sieze it from him, or even shut his business down instead of paying the dude for it, also if that does not work, get a better price than $175!!!
Talk the talk, tell him no one is going to buy it like that and also it has a good chance of not lasting another week even in the best of care because it is too far gone, trust me, he knows if he doesn't get something out of it he's about to get nothing out of it when it dies, he can see that it is in really bad shape, he's not blind. If I were you I would walk in there and give him $50 TOPS! cash in his hand and tell him your taking the lizard and if he protests, then take it back out of his hand and start walking away, and see if he lets you walk out the door, I bet you he won't and would gladly take the $50. Don't play the fools game, just because he came down from $1000 to $175 doesn't make it a good deal, (that is the Jewelry Television Tactic) haha and don't let it work on you bc I guarentee you he's still making a profit on $175, don't give him the satisfaction. Make him write it down as a loss or a total loss don't throw away your hard earned money, (and yes it is important) in the hands of a person that will just kill more animals with it. PLEASE TAKE HEED OF MY ADVICE and entertain it at the very least.

scotty93801

5 Year Member
Well coldthirst I kinda took your advice to make a long story short
after alot of arguing and talking He settled for $75.00 .
He's home with me now taking a long very well needed soak in the tub.
Can you imagine keeping a full grown red tegu in a 20 gal. long with no heat and no water with a handful of repti_bark in it.

scotty93801

5 Year Member
Thats an understatement, sorry for the bad pics.
100_0081.jpg

[/img]
100_0082.jpg
100_0083.jpg
[/img]

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
scotty93801 said:
Well coldthirst I kinda took your advice to make a long story short
after alot of arguing and talking He settled for $75.00 .
He's home with me now taking a long very well needed soak in the tub.
Can you imagine keeping a full grown red tegu in a 20 gal. long with no heat and no water with a handful of repti_bark in it.

OH THANK YOU THANK YOU you did really good!!! I was really dreading what you were gonna end up doing and man you nailed it! Thats almost exactly what I would have done. I am the proudest papa in the whole world right now. You didn't get ripped off, the guy had to settle for alot less money,and the tegu is finally in what seems to be a great home. Everyone wins and you and the tegu are happy. Aw man I love it when a plan comes together. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

angelrose

5 Year Member
I'm so happy to hear you got him and with five other tegus it sounds like you will take very good care of him. thank God for people like you ;) :-D . a nice ride to the vet would be good to make sure he gets what he needs now :-D

gebris353

5 Year Member
You are the man, good luck with your new buddy. I have a question now that I see the second pic: is the wave tail a symptom of any particular illness? How could it go that way?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Awesome! Well the pet store owner seemed reasonable enough. Best of luck and I hope the guy makes a complete 180 in the health department!!

scotty93801

5 Year Member
gebris353 said:
You are the man, good luck with your new buddy. I have a question now that I see the second pic: is the wave tail a symptom of any particular illness? How could it go that way?
It's a regenerated tail . as far as the zigzag I would say it's been smashed it sliding glass doors of the cage it was in.
Thanks for all the well wishes .
Scott

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced