• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu UVB help - UK

Daniel Daley

Hello ladies and gentlemen

I can't find a lot of support in UK regarding what I'm looking for (surprise :p )

I've nearly built my first Tegu enclosure.

Now I need some advice to get my head round a few things, any support would be amazing

I want to go for a UVB bulb, so I will go 12% D3+

The vivarium is going to be divided as it is 7x3x3 and the Tegu I will be getting will be 3-4 month old.

What I really would like to know is, what fitting can I use to secure the UVB bulb in place? do I need a reflector? I found a slim line canopy, could this be used inside? I'm worried that if I fit it to the top of the vivarium, the Tegu would not feel the benefit.

Thank you

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hello from yorkshire..... I dont know much on this matter but I would think as long as the fitting turns on the bulb then it can be used......im also not too sure on the ideal distance for the light to be but you could suspend it on achain from the roof or just put it 1/3 down the back wall

Daniel Daley

Hello :)

Thank you for replying! I have thought about that, but I have things to concern me regarding that.

1. The Tegu could jump onto it.
2. I am thinking of putting in a mist king to spray the enclosure.

If I have a mist king that sprays the enclosure, the canopy would get wet or alternatively I could go with a humidifier.

Daniel Daley

I did hear that, but sadly, I'm not looking for that type of bulb. I did originally want that but I keep hearing bad things about them (mixed views I guess)

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mines a philips arcadia where all the starter and power stays on the out side of your viv and two wires lead to rubber bulb fittings that run into your viv.

Kay

Everything that I have read says 12-18 inches as well. My enclosure is 2' as well so I built a ledge. Hope fully he will use it and if not Ill be taking him outside as well.

Im not very familiar with that lighting but I did see this as well...
"D3+ 12% UVB HO-T5 lamps are very powerful lamps. For the first time ever we can now use this tech to generate a targeted wild UVI for our animals. It is important however that arboreal animals are not able to bask for long periods with a reflected D3+ 12% lamp that is fitted closer than 12” from the lamp to the animal as the UV Index would be higher than is required. Fit these lamps as part of a well thought out photo gradient and as part of the light and shade method. This then allows great self regulation in a safe environment."
http://arcadia-reptile.com/fluorescent-lamps/t5-d3plus-desert/

Good luck with everything!

Other links...
http://www.anapsid.org/uvd3.html
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Habitats-Care/Reptile-Lighting-Information/

Zyn

I haven't seen or heard anything bad in relation to the powersuns I have a 160w on my baby blue and he seems to love it. Heat, UVB, basking light all in one. It's costly but has a 1 year warnty. The only new products I've heard bad things about are the coil fluresent repti glo bulbs from exo terra. It's producing to much white light which is burning the retina on some reptiles.

Zyn

Also you can build a ramping platform for him to get close or as far away as he needs to. Or you can go to lowes in the electrical department pick up a ceramic fixture and mount it off a 4 square metal box

Kay

I read that you should replace the UV every 6-8 months....are you replacing this bulb or does this one last longer?

I haven't seen or heard anything bad in relation to the powersuns I have a 160w on my baby blue and he seems to love it. Heat, UVB, basking light all in one. It's costly but has a 1 year warnty. The only new products I've heard bad things about are the coil fluresent repti glo bulbs from exo terra. It's producing to much white light which is burning the retina on some reptiles.

Zyn

It's new so I'll let you know I'll be getting a UVB gauge soon. I like it because it has an internal ballast so deming is possibles without doing any damage to it. Also it has an internal heat sink so if it ever gets hot enough to damage the element it turns itself off for an hour.

Kay

I didn't even know they had a UVB Guage....I'll have to look into that. Definitely let me know. I saw one for $53....didn't look further but that might be great if it does all that.

Daniel Daley

Hi Guys

thanks for replying, Zyn, that was what I heard regarding the retinas. Could you possibly provide a link to the UVB you use?

My only concern is, the UVB it is giving off, is only in one place, so the rest of the vivarium is surely without UVB? if I'm wrong please correct me :)

Zyn

It is, but it's on the basking spot. So like the heat gradient it provides a UVB gradient as well. Atleast that's what I've read I've only had my baby blue for about a week now lol so my info is more just off what I've read here and
there and not so much off first hand experience yet. So i could be wrong as well, but maybe Walter or one of the others have some input on the situation.

As for my bulb I'm currently using

https://zoomed.com/powersun-uv/

Kay

Placing the Lights
Cluster your incandescents used for heat and your fluorescents used for UVB/A at the same end of the enclosure. You can certainly use a fluorescent tube that extends partially or completely down the full length of your enclosure, but if you are using a short tube, be sure to house it adjacent to the basking light. I find that too many people are putting the fluorescent at one end and the white basking light at the other.

The reason you need to place them adjacent to each other is that the bright white light will attract the reptile to the warmest area so it can bask. It will spend most of its time during the day there, and while there, will be exposed to the UVB and UVA produced by the fluorescent. As it thermoregulates, it will move along the gradient of heat, but always going towards the bright white light to warm up. If provided with a non-white light emitting heat source on one end of the enclosure, and a cool white light at the other, such as that emitted by fluorescents, the reptile will elect to sit under the white light because it is attracted to the light. Thus is will fail to attain the temperatures it needs to ensure proper digestion and good health.

http://www.anapsid.org/liteheat.html

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980