• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegus Abandoned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven.

Wow.. 33 tegus.. That's a huge stock all rite. Not gonna say any names but i only know 2 people in Florida with a stock that big... Bobby and Ty..

sent from my phone to your eyes

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Too bad they couldn't find the list of people who paid for tegus from him then never got them. I'm one of them, and kinda wish he would have offered me an older one in place of the one I paid for, instead of just letting them loose. :( I'm assuming they were his breeders.poor things

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
People were encouraged to file an IC3 complaint. Other than that route or starting a small claims complaint, nothing can be done really.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah i know... i chose not to do anything because so many were. His darkness was bad enough i figured. Had hoped he could somehow 'fix it '... i don't know. I just meant that way those people who paid could at least have satisfaction of knowing they were helping rescue those left to die/wander the streets.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I saw this on the BOI a couple weeks back. It is Bobby Hill, and I think the situation is mostly under control. Quite sickening how one of the biggest names in the business turned into what he is now. Definitely not Ty's stock, I spoke with him 2 days ago.

TheTeguGurl

I saw this on the BOI a couple weeks back. It is Bobby Hill, and I think the situation is mostly under control. Quite sickening how one of the biggest names in the business turned into what he is now. Definitely not Ty's stock, I spoke with him 2 days ago.
Not TyPark No

Cassie

Relevant:
Aaron Gerson said:
I would like to take an opportunity to follow-up on a recent post regarding abandoned tegus. I will try to provide as much detail as I can, but please bear in mind that there is a limit as to what I am going to discuss. Moderators: the following information is not unsubstantiated and not subject to hearsay.

Last week, I was contacted by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) in regard to a number of Argentine tegus that were allegedly abandoned in the Panama City area by a local tegu breeder. I was asked to accompany the FWC to Panama City to assist in assessing the situation. Upon arrival, I was extremely saddened by the condition and environment that the tegus were living in. It was deplorable and shameful to say the least. More than several tegus were deceased; many of them looked emaciated and dehydrated. It appeared as though some of them had been reduced to cannibalism. I can assure you that the scene was not for one with a weak stomach. I subsequently captured and secured about 30 adult tegus. The tegus were seen by a veterinarian and are currently being rehabilitated in a safe and secure environment. I apologize if I appear to be indirect about this. For now, this is how it has to be.
Source

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I do know that 38 tegus have been captured. FWC and law enforcement are patrolling the area to discourage "cruisers" looking for free tegus.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
If 'qualified ' cruisers wanted to scan the area they should be allowed to take them. Like you, laura. Kind of like an easter egg hunt. But with tegus. :)

Cassie

They should employ these "cruisers" to capture the tegus. We all know that herpers are better than non-experienced hunters (burmese python hunt is a great example).
I do think that, if there was a way, they should collect records of people who are owed a tegu and work on adopting these out to those buyers. I'm pretty sure that, if these tegus were almost 'free-roaming' in a backyard, that some females are gravid and well...hey.
Its a shame that these were just abandoned, if it was Varnyard's stock he could have sold the breeders off and have refunded everyone instead of causing this whole mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi