• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegus and other lizards

lindam

5 Year Member
We are getting our first tegu in the end of this year! :-D
And weÃ?â??Ã?´re just wondering.. .
We like to keep our lizards free a lot. They love to wonder around the apartment or follow us around.
(the Nr.1 attraction seems to be our cupboard in the toilet for all of our reptiles.)
I suppose tegus can not be kept free with smaller lizards like water dragons??
How about adult iguanas? Or iguanas that are bigger than the tegu baby??
Our iguana is familiar to our other lizards and our dog. ItÃ?â??Ã?´s really social and playful.
And has never been agressive towards other animals or us.

jntann

5 Year Member
Hi, my tegu trys to attack the cat ever chance it gets the cat runs as soon as it see the tegu coming . one time it bite the cat very hard it had the cats whole paw in its mouth. I would think it might attack other lizards and maybe the dog. it might see them as a threat...[ But that is just my opinon]

lindam

5 Year Member
Hmm... .
threat or a meal.. .
Not the dog but The water dragons and the iguana?

Have they "grown up" together? (your tegu and the cat)
Can the tegu get used to a dog if the dog has been around from the beginning?
Like (e.c.) our iguana has.

Somehow,
I would wanÃ?â??Ã?´t to Trust the animal.. Free.. In the apartment.. .
Not to follow itÃ?â??Ã?´s every step "fearing" that it will hurt the dog or something. :roll:
(fearing.. . first word that came to mind at this hour.. .)

Propably IÃ?â??Ã?´ll not keep the dragons free at the same time as the tegu is out.
:-D
The precious little ones are not food!!! :nono

skippy

5 Year Member
my tegu tolerates the cat, it hangs out in the enclosure as soon as it's opened. the dogs are also very interested but oliver(tegu) tried to take off my heelers nose last time she got too close :shock:

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i allow my tegu to free roam in my reptile room as much as she likes. its all set up for her with basking light and every thing she needs. i recently aquired a large iguana who also free iroams the same room. they dont bother each other however this is only temporary and was kind of a forced situation. my tegu never bothers my other reptiles who are in cages although some she can see them. now my dog on the other hand she has attacked him on multiple occaisions and she was raised around him. i dont think it was out of fear because twice the dog was just lying on the floor. once he just walked in my room while i had her in there and she leaped off my bed after him. sometimes its really hard to tell if animals will get along you just have to be careful

isdrake

5 Year Member
You should never mix different reptile species. Especially not reptiles that need different ecology.

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
My tegu recognizes my dogs and also has developed a system to scare them away because he apparently does not like them at all. They are almost scared of him and they are beagles and hunt almost anything else. Never mix species...

Kingwolf26

5 Year Member
What the hell, Javier you idiot, go make your own thread, probably too late to say that. I am trying to read the post and I see this spam. Anyways, I had my extreme giant in the same room as a sneiders skink and the tegu was only 4 inches longer by tail and I came home to find the tegu had eaten one of the legs and the tip of the tail off that skink and crunched his head and body to death. My bigger tegu came in and took the rest of that skink and swallowed it whole.
Moral of story, even if they can kill that animal, they will torture them, like a little raptor, as long as it doesnt smell like tegu. With an iguana? I am not guarantying that the predator prey balance would level out, but I would like to see that in the wild

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPbBO0jRr0E&has_verified=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPbBO0jR ... verified=1</a><!-- m -->

Check out this video of a tegu and other lizard.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam