• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegus Only

Misfitcreatures

So I have been hearing mixed reviews of Rodney Irwin at TegusOnly. I emailed him to see what he has available and he sent me a photo of one individual. I asked if he had what I was specifically looking for and no response. Seeing as he doesn't post individuals on his site, he should be able to send photos to customers.
I've gotten a tegu from him in the past. I was absolutely displeased with the way this tegu was crammed into a flat rate USPS box, packed tightly with wood shavings. He was so stuck in there I had to cut up the box.. The shavings he uses are the kind of wood known to have toxic oils that can cause issues in reptiles. The heat pad wasn't hot at all and this was in the middle of winter. He had a bit of an RI, and that's now cleared. He was rather healthy so I couldn't complain.
I wanted another one to ad to the family, and I figured TegusOnly has affordable pet only tegus, but I've gotten no response from him after the first.
Has anyone else had issues getting Rodney to respond? Issues with shipping and overall health? I want to see an animal before I buy it. Especially with it being wild caught. It makes me question the condition of the animals if he only will send one pretty healthy individual and ignore other requests.
This is my boy today.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    882.9 KB · Views: 255

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think that I remember your earlier post regarding shipment and communication difficulties. That's too bad. Great that your tegu is doing well.

He gets back to me pretty quickly by text. My 1.2 come from him. I love them. Wish I had room for more. I know that April-September can be hectic from trapping.

My advice is to send a text, tell him what sex and size that you're looking for, pics of potentials, and see what happens.

Related topic- absolutely do not keep two males together.

Keep updating.

Misfitcreatures

This is my first post on this forum.
But I currently do not have a phone that's activated. So I'm relying on email. I hear he responds rather quickly but I haven't had that experience, even in the past.

Rodney Irwin

5 Year Member
So I have been hearing mixed reviews of Rodney Irwin at TegusOnly. I emailed him to see what he has available and he sent me a photo of one individual. I asked if he had what I was specifically looking for and no response. Seeing as he doesn't post individuals on his site, he should be able to send photos to customers.
I've gotten a tegu from him in the past. I was absolutely displeased with the way this tegu was crammed into a flat rate USPS box, packed tightly with wood shavings. He was so stuck in there I had to cut up the box.. The shavings he uses are the kind of wood known to have toxic oils that can cause issues in reptiles. The heat pad wasn't hot at all and this was in the middle of winter. He had a bit of an RI, and that's now cleared. He was rather healthy so I couldn't complain.
I wanted another one to ad to the family, and I figured TegusOnly has affordable pet only tegus, but I've gotten no response from him after the first.
Has anyone else had issues getting Rodney to respond? Issues with shipping and overall health? I want to see an animal before I buy it. Especially with it being wild caught. It makes me question the condition of the animals if he only will send one pretty healthy individual and ignore other requests.
This is my boy today.

Rodney Irwin

5 Year Member
Hello Misfit,

I am one man working damn hard to rescue as many tegus as possible and protect them from a massive
effort to eradicate and kill them as an invasive species. To date, I have sent almost seventeen hundred
to good homes and people that love them for what they are. The time demands and logistics require
a great deal of effort. I run seventy traps in a hostile work environment. I have no salesperson answering the
phone, no shipping department, no assistant to help building enclosures, feeding, cleaning, no IT person
to manage website and ads. During the tegu season here. I maintain between one hundred to three hundred tegus,

If you have something to say about me. you should say it to me first. My God do I hate dealing with people like you.
the only I am doing it now is because you drive customers away from my business with no good reason.
It is a simple equation. Less customers equals more tegus die.

As to your post.

I do everything I can to satisfy customers. My ads show actual pictures of the tegus I have for sale.
As opposed to many that just have 1 stock picture in the ad. Before accepting payment I send another
picture of the tegu I will be shipping. In your post, you agree that my tegus are healthy.
I have shipped over twelve hundred tegus. (The rest went to reputable wholesalers ).
Have you shipped a thousand tegus ? Would you prefer the box be easier to open and less secure ?
The shavings I use are kiln dried and contain no resins. Period.
When I ship in the winter, because I am 30 miles south of Miami Florida, The temperature may be 85 degrees here.
Were I to add additional heat packs than necessary, the tegu will overheat and die.

These are things I would have explained if you would have contacted me. Instead, you blast negative comments
about things you don't understand and look like a hateful idiot.

JimB

I'm probably one of your last shipments Rodney, I received number 4 (3rd Tegu) out of your SixPack Video and named him/her PepperJack. He arrived here in Colorado just fine with a heat pack.We're both doing great and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone ordering a rescued Tegu from you!

Thanks for all that you do ... and for PepperJack! :tegu:
Tegu4.jpg
PJ3_11_17x.jpg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If there's a problem, Rodney makes things right.

Like him, I'll defend myself for getting dinged for something I didn't do.

My three came two in one box and one in another box some months later. No problem.

If I had room for another, I'd order from Rodney because that population has a look that I like and their quality and his service are solid.

Moody

I recently got one from Rodney Erwin. Specifically three days ago. He mailed it out at 6 p.m. and it was at my house in Kentucky at 10 o'clock a.m. The tegu was fiesty and a tad grumpy as to be expected but was healthy and vivacious. He (Balthazar) was packed well with light shavings, I love how everyone wants to complain and say oh those wood chips are known to be toxic, I'm sure that when a tegu is in the wild it steers clear of cedar chips. Don't be ridiculous. Rodney is WORKING! I don't always get to my emails either and it's not like he is housing some of these tegus, you do realize he is catching them I the wild and not really breeding so much right? Especially in the winter months, and it costs him money to hold onto them, the man has to eat too. If you really really wanted to get in touch with him then you can go to his fb page and he clearly lists his phone number... I love my tegu and Iook at it like I rescued him, like a dog from the pound only a tegu pound. He is healthy and happy.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I recently got one from Rodney Erwin. Specifically three days ago. He mailed it out at 6 p.m. and it was at my house in Kentucky at 10 o'clock a.m. The tegu was fiesty and a tad grumpy as to be expected but was healthy and vivacious. He (Balthazar) was packed well with light shavings, I love how everyone wants to complain and say oh those wood chips are known to be toxic, I'm sure that when a tegu is in the wild it steers clear of cedar chips. Don't be ridiculous. Rodney is WORKING! I don't always get to my emails either and it's not like he is housing some of these tegus, you do realize he is catching them I the wild and not really breeding so much right? Especially in the winter months, and it costs him money to hold onto them, the man has to eat too. If you really really wanted to get in touch with him then you can go to his fb page and he clearly lists his phone number... I love my tegu and Iook at it like I rescued him, like a dog from the pound only a tegu pound. He is healthy and happy.
I love it- A tegu pound!

Post some photos!!! And muchos congrats!!

Moody

He sent me a pic and then the tegu.. If you want him to call you send him your phone number. He called me before I even paid for it.

Attachments

• 20170424_160439.jpg
    20170424_160439.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 164

VA farmer

I just ordered a Tegu from Rodney (Teguonly) today. He does respond pretty quick but, the only issue I have is the tegu is being shipped Monday and well arrive on Tuesday. I'm leaving town on Monday night and I'll be back late Wednesday night. He tells me that FedEx well hold it if I'm not home. Is this true? Has anyone ever had this issues before? That's a long time to leave her at FedEx..

Moody

If Rodney says it's ok then it's ok. He guarantees his animals alive so if it wasn't ok then I don't think he would do it because he would have to replace it on his own. I got mine Tuesday and have been off the last 2 days, I have spent sitting outside my tegus cage trying to bond with it. The first day of course it stayed hidden. The second day it tolerated me and ate from my hand. Tonight while showing it to my friend it walked right up and got in my lap. We have been sitting on the couch ever since. That is how docile they are.

Attachments

• 20170428_022920.jpg
    20170428_022920.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 73

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I just ordered a Tegu from Rodney (Teguonly) today. He does respond pretty quick but, the only issue I have is the tegu is being shipped Monday and well arrive on Tuesday. I'm leaving town on Monday night and I'll be back late Wednesday night. He tells me that FedEx well hold it if I'm not home. Is this true? Has anyone ever had this issues before? That's a long time to leave her at FedEx..
Probably OK then. No chance he can mail Wednesday or Thursday?

VA farmer

No, I msg him asking if he could make the delivery date fri or sat. But, he responded saying the tegu we'll be delivered on tues to your local ups station and I could call them. That still leaves the tegu there til Thursday morning..Guess he'll only do monday delivery!!!

Hope they hold her til then!!!
I also have roomies waiting on her.
1male tegu
2 blue tongue skinks
1adult male green iguana
1 red foot tortoise
2 goats
2 alpacas
14 chickens
5 rabbits
More coming too!!

Members online