• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Thinking about a B&W. Lots of Q's :)

Charles

I own a dog and a bird, however I've never once owned a pet reptile. I understand going straight for a Tegu's is a big jump, but I feel I've taken the steps to prepare. I'm currently in the building of a cage, I have the frame completely finished! (8x4x4 are the dimensions and I know that's plenty big enough).

I plan to get a baby B&W soon, where from I don't currently know. My big question was that if with a lot of human interaction, at least two hours per day.. what exactly are the chances of the Tegu's biting at not only a young age, but future in their life. Keep in mind I'll have the tools to make sure the cage is kept at the right temps with correct lighting and that feeding with be a regular kept routine.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There is always a chance of being bitten. Although Tegus tend to calm down very well and make amazing pets that you can interact with without worry. You should do your best to learn your tegus signs for when he is not in the mood to be bothered and you should have no problems.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There is always a chance of being bitten. If you plan to keep any animal, I think its best to expect it at some point. Even with a dog, hamster, cat, etc. I got bit once through a pair of gloves but I brought that on myself by not being consistent with feedings.
For my tegus the general rules seem to be: if they're in the hide/burrow don't bug 'em. If they start to wag/slither/rattle/shake their tail, don't bug 'em.
As a baby, guru tend to huff a lot. When he did that I wouldn't force anything, I'd just wait for him to calm down and back off for a few. You'll eventually learn their body language and figure out some patterns and a routine.

It's good to see that you're going with an 8x4, these guys grow sooo quickly! Especially if they stay up all winter. Feel free to ask any other questions, make sure to continue your research even after you get your new tegu.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
I agree with the above. Know how to read the warning signs and you will be fine. I have never been bitten by my tegu but I know when she doesn't want to be bothered. Never strip them from their hides. That is their sanctuary and If they don't feel safe they will take longer to tame down.

I think tegu's are better suited as intermediate pets because of their large appetite and caging needs. IMO I also think someone needs to be familiar with basic reptile husbandry like understanding what a warm and cool side is and why it is needed, understanding the basic importance of uvb, and understanding that tegus are not dogs and should not be treated as such. But you seem to be a very competent individual so do your research, take your time and read the forum and I think you will be all ready for a tegu.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Plenty of good advice so far but I'll add my 2 cents. There's such a thing as being overly interactive with a newly acquired pet. The biggest mistake I see people make when trying to tame their pets is moving too fast, too soon. I don't mess with my tegus much until after their first hibernation. I find they get plenty calm with just me spot cleaning, feeding and soaking them on a regular schedule. Let your GU get comfortable with you doing other things around them before you start pulling them out for hours of interaction at a time. After they come out of their first hibernation I start handling more and I've seen very little aggression as they're already quite used to my presence. This may not work for everybody and I'm sure some want to quickly tame their animals but sometimes that can end up taking longer than just allowing your GU to come around at its own pace. These lizards are incredibly smart and will remember being manhandled, one bad interaction can set you back quite a ways. As for being bitten, I haven't yet had the pleasure(knocks on wood). Like the other posters have mentioned, you learn to read your tegus body language and the risk of getting chomped drops dramatically.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Again, great advice above...

Think in terms of stress... and do everything you can to minimize your Tegu's stress... a stressed Tegu is going to be an aggressive Tegu and a stress free Tegu will have no reason to bite you...

Charles

Well to point out a basic topic to this discussion, I'm honestly looking at a pet reptile that will so to speak 'chill' with my for hours on end ;) I've considered a few options, and one is to get a baby Tegus and take my time with it or to go overboard and build a 6x3x2 cage onto the top of the 8x4 for a bearded dragon. I would deff. give equal attention to both animals, however I think the Tegus wouldn't be to happy with being held for hours straight, which is where the Bearded would come in :) I've got plenty of space and funds saved up just for this, so I'm taking my time with it to prepare! After all, I've waited and done 5 months of saving and research, a little more time won't hurt.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Honestly if you are looking for a pet reptile that will "chill' for hours, maybe a reptile isn't for you. Get another dog.

Charles

james.w said:
Honestly if you are looking for a pet reptile that will "chill' for hours, maybe a reptile isn't for you. Get another dog.

Let me clarify hours.. 3 at the most per day, and when I say handle.. I mean sit on my shoulder/lay in my lap while I watch tv and play on the computer. I'm looking to giving a lot of attention to these guys, and I'm thinking a Tegu and Bearded would be a great combo to my room. I've just about finished the enclosure, I just need to debate on putting another on top of the 8x4 for a bearded. Two lizards would be plenty for me, and it would give them time to get their own time with my attention. I know the Tegu doesn't like being handled as much, that's where the Bearded comes in.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As long as you don't expect to be able to handle either all day you should be ok than. The bearded dragon would be a better choice IMO.

herpgirl2510

I agree a beardie would be better I had one that was perfectly content to sit on my shoulder all the tim/. My tegus like to explore whn tonka is free roaming he is always on the move.

It is fun though watching them roam around the house exploring or just laying in front of the screen door basking.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
I agree, my tegu will not sit still long enough to watch tv for any amount of hours and she is much too big and heavy to be sitting on my shoulder :p. When my tegu is out she likes to explore any and everything and move around. When she's resting she likes to be under her heat lamp or in her hide box. She has the freedom to move in and out of her enclosure.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi