• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tips for Avoiding Scams/Bad Deals

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I believe people are born innately good but let's face it. There are people in our hobby/industry who are out to make a quick dollar. Whether it be selling WC as CB, misrepresenting animals, or just flat out taking someones money and running. However, there are some simple steps that can help you make a good purchase and have a successful deal. These tips are primarily for purchases via the world wide web.

First, your best friend: Board of InquiryÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?® <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13">http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/ ... y.php?f=13</a><!-- m -->
If you are not already a member I encourage you to join this forum. Thousands of visiters and members are involved in this community and it should be the first location to look for any feedback on a seller. Not everyone agrees or likes the BOI but it definetly has its uses in helping to notify buyers of the bad guys in the industry. Use the search function and see what there is to be said on your potential seller!!!

Granted not everyone (scammer using fake name) is on the BOI so the person you might be dealing with may not be listed. In such cases it is important to take the following precautions.

Personal checks are a no-no as you say, and so are Western Union money transfers. Unless they are a long established and very reputable company, refuse to give any credit card/bank account info.

I prefer postal money orders over all of the above. Accepting money through the USPS and not delivering what you paid for constitutes a federal offense. Not many people would like to be in trouble with the FBI.

Paypal is another option but I have yet to use it in a sales transaction invloving reptiles (actually I am in the middle of making my first one so I will see how it goes). I have heard ups and downs in using it as a payment method, especially when an issue needs to be resolved. Anyone care to share their experience with it?

In my opinion the best way to minimize being scammed is:

1. Make sure the person selling the item has the item (pictures, dates help).

2. Make sure the person is who he says he is (checking background, references, BOI).

3. Have everything in writing (keep e-mails).

4. Ask for a real phone number (no cell phones) and an address where to ship the order or where it is coming from (most times on the mailing slip but you never know).

5. Verify the phone number, the address, and the name match (reverse look-up using 411.com).

6. Obtain references from the dealer (sure these can be friends of theirs but having a character reference doesn't hurt. Besides they might give you a contact who is not happy with them and lets you in on their scamming ways).

7. Trust your gut (if any red flags go up in your mind take a step back and evaluate the deal effectively).

8.Save all reciepts/paperwork/emails.

9. Mail money via USPS Certified and save reciepts as proof.

10. Make sure the animal represented is the species you want. There are so many species, morphs, subspecies out there that sometimes a picture cannot do the animal justice.

These are just some things that come to mind when trying to make a deal. It seems like a lot of work but trust me, you will be glad you did your homework in the long run. If anyone has any other tips or suggestions please add them!!!! I hope to make this thread an ongoing resource for us.

14 Tips To Avoid Getting
Taken By Internet Scams:

1. Always use common sense. If you have a gut feeling that something isn't legitimate, you're probably right.

2. Make sure the company has a phone number and physical address. Call the company back. Check with Information to see if the phone number actually belongs to that company.

3. Always ask for references and check them carefully. A reputable company will be pleased to send you additional information and give you as many references from satisfied customers as you want.

4. Ask on-line promoters where their company is incorporated. If you're suspicious, call that state's secretary of state and ask if the company is incorporated with them and if it has a current annual report on file.

5. Check with the state's Attorney General's Office to see if the company has a received a series of complaints.

6. Check with the National Fraud Information Center at: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fraud.org">www.fraud.org</a><!-- w --> or 1-800-876-7060. NFIC provides lots of valuable resources about telephone, mail, and online scams.

7. Always make sure that you get a strong guarantee. Ask the company what will happen if you want to return the product or service. You might even ask for references of people who have returned the product and received refunds.

8. Avoid falling for high pressure sales tactics. Scamsters always want your money right now. They don't want to give you time to think about your decision. If you are pressured to decide right now, decide "no."

9. Pay by credit card. That gives you recourse if you have a problem. If you pay by credit card and have a problem, you can call your bank and do a "charge back." What that means is that you have the credit card company "charge back" your purchase to the vendor and give you a credit. But do be careful giving out your credit card number (especially by email).

10. Don't respond to bulk emails. Be skeptical of offers that use LOTS OF CAPITAL LETTERS and punctuation!!! Emails that shout at you are often bogus, such as "Discover how you can make BIG $$$$$ MONEY in NO TIME AT ALL!!!!!

11. Always print a hard copy of any on-line offer that you're considering. Make sure you keep the email address, Internet address (URL), and any other information, as well as the date and time that you saw the offer. Save this information in case you need it later.

12. Beware of promoters who try to sell things using an anonymous email address such as <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->, <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --> or a post office box.

13. Don't participate in a pyramid scheme. If you are asked to send money to ten people, who each send money to ten other people, who then each send money to ten more people, etc., this is an illegal pyramid scheme. Don't do it.

14. If you're told that you have won a prize, be skeptical. If you are told you have won a prize and have to pay money, always refuse the prize.
http://www.scambusters.org/Scambusters10.html

AB^

5 Year Member
I just want to point out (from personal experience) that even big name, well known dealers can have bad deals. Make sure to get a guarantee from them in writing (like email, or a screen shot of their website as websites can be altered/modified.) If you have any questions about a situation that may come up that isnt listed in their gaurantee then email them and ask. Anybody can have many good deals and people consider them a good guy, but IMO what makes a good guy is how they handle the bad deals.

Along with my bad transaction with a person who's articles I have been reading for years, I recently spoke with a peer who also had a bad deal with a well known person in the reptile world of which I have been reading this persons books and articles for years as well : /

Just because someone is well known doesnt mean they have good ethics or business practices.

I have also done deals with people I could not verify any information on. They were just private breeders and not a registered business. I
could not locate any info about them on the BOI either. I bit the bullet and had a very smooth transaction of which went better than most of the actual businesses and large name breeders I have done transactions with.

I also want to point out a few other things. Shipping of live animals should only be done next day. Also animals should only be shipped in fair weather. Mon,Tues,Wed are the only acceptable shipping days. Any other days are unacceptable. Anything other than these should be a warning sign immediatley.

I would always ask for multiple shots of the animal besides what is posted in the ad. this not only ensures they actually have the animal advertised but can give you a better idea of the condition of the animal.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know but i dont know how to search anything on the BOI.. for some reason im BOI retarded

AB^

5 Year Member
If I remember correctly you have to be a member and logged in to use their (the BOI) search feature.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
AB^ said:
If I remember correctly you have to be a member and logged in to use their (the BOI) search feature.

AB is 100%; in fact, I just created my own account on the BIO for research on a seller!

ZEKE

5 Year Member
First, your best friend: Board of InquiryÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?® <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13">http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/ ... y.php?f=13</a><!-- m -->

BOI means Board Of Inquiry

tupinambis

5 Year Member
BOI - Board of Inquiry

Just to add a little further warning - do NOT use PayPal. PayPal has their little motto of checking into fraudulent dealers, but I've been on the ugly end of fraudulent dealers way too often through PayPal, and PayPal has NEVER ONCE gotten me my money back. They will try various avenues that they have access to in order to try getting your money back, but the fact is, once the cash has been exchanged and is in the hands of a private individual, they have pretty much NO recourse whatsoever in getting your funds returned. They depend on the character of the person you did your transaction with, and lets face it, they already took the money fraudulently in the first place, they are not likely to listen to their conscience and hand it back. PayPal is great for dealing with purchasing dry goods online from registered businesses, it is LOUSY for doing transactions between individuals. Do your homework first, find out all you can about the person you are dealing with.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
tupinambis said:
BOI - Board of Inquiry

Just to add a little further warning - do NOT use PayPal. PayPal has their little motto of checking into fraudulent dealers, but I've been on the ugly end of fraudulent dealers way too often through PayPal, and PayPal has NEVER ONCE gotten me my money back. They will try various avenues that they have access to in order to try getting your money back, but the fact is, once the cash has been exchanged and is in the hands of a private individual, they have pretty much NO recourse whatsoever in getting your funds returned. They depend on the character of the person you did your transaction with, and lets face it, they already took the money fraudulently in the first place, they are not likely to listen to their conscience and hand it back. PayPal is great for dealing with purchasing dry goods online from registered businesses, it is LOUSY for doing transactions between individuals. Do your homework first, find out all you can about the person you are dealing with.

Hey, I paid Bobby using paypal....is he going to rip me off 0.0
Naw, in all honesty, I agree with you.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
tupinambis said:
PayPal is great for dealing with purchasing dry goods online from registered businesses, it is LOUSY for doing transactions between individuals. Do your homework first, find out all you can about the person you are dealing with.
I'm taking money for the TeguTalk t-shirts using PayPal. I don't think I'm going to rip anyone off. But you never know!!! :mrgreen:

Nero

5 Year Member
Is pay pal the only way to order one of those shirts?? I use to have a pay pal for Ebay but I forgot my account info.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes. It's safer for me.

Go to the PayPal page and click on "password" in the Log In box. Enter the email address you used and the verification code and they will send you a new password (I think, I'm not going to finish it). I had to do it a couple of years ago when I forgot mine.

MadameButterfly

I'm actually suprised people still fall for online scams like this, I play a game called www.torn.com and you really wouldn't believe the amount of people that scam people for fake cash on the game, I actually run a website listing the scammers on the game here http://scammerhunt.myfunforum.org/ and no mess no matter how updated I keep the list I get constant mails ingame asking what I'll send as compensation and then they get majorly irritated when I explain that I just maintain the list I don't compensate for their stupidity,

The simple fact is at the end of the day if you are sending real life cash to a stranger then do your homework and be as sure as f**k you can trust them, you don't and shouldn't need a list of steps to tell you that, it is common sense, ask yourself this, would you just hand over 300 quid to a complete stranger in real life just because they come up to you and say "Aww yeah mate, don't worry mate I'll send it back"...?

Common sense isn't really that common but stupidity is rife at times....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced