• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Want Bearded Dragon(:

herpgirl2510

think you made your point, it's probably best to leave it as is before things get out of hand. They understand the risks, you did what you could. I understand you only want the best for the beardie, but there's only so much you can do.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will decide when i have made my point thank you very much. If you don't want to hear me speaking my mind don't read it that is what a forum is for.

BillieJeAn

i have found there can be exception for "solitary" animals.
i have to golden geckos, everywhere i read it said it was stressful for them to be together, but my two LOVE being together, the smaller one rides on the larger ones back, and they are always in the same hide, (i made multiple ones in case of aggression) so i think if you trust your animal will be okay, then dont worry to much. if they are aggressive towards each other separating seems simple :p
just though i'd leave my input lol

BillieJeAn

herpgirl2510 said:
When they are on eachother's back that is a classic sign of dominance. ^^^

eh, it wasnt in a dominant behavior, she kinda hitched a ride on him because he was more than twice her size. you couldnt keep them apart. though i have had reptiles that lay on each other and have been very dominant towards the others. it just depends on personality. everyone and thing has a different personality

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
BillieJeAn said:
herpgirl2510 said:

eh, it wasnt in a dominant behavior, she kinda hitched a ride on him because he was more than twice her size. you couldnt keep them apart. though i have had reptiles that lay on each other and have been very dominant towards the others. it just depends on personality. everyone and thing has a different personality

Did they tell you they weren't showing dominance?? I'm confused as to how you know what the behavior meant.

BillieJeAn

james.w said:
BillieJeAn said:
herpgirl2510 said:

Did they tell you they weren't showing dominance?? I'm confused as to how you know what the behavior meant.

i dont appreciate sarcasm, but did they tell you they were being dominant? i'm sorry but these are my animals and i know how they act and what they're doing. i'm sure if she was dominant he would seem a bit stressed, and he's not, he's thrived since i bought her.
if youre confused on how I know what their behavior meant then how exactly do you know what it means if they aren't even your animals and you're not the one witnessing how they act everyday.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well 20 years of experience with reptiles tells me how they act. Do a bit of research and you will find that laying or climbing on top of each other is a dominance behavior.

BillieJeAn

james.w said:
Well 20 years of experience with reptiles tells me how they act. Do a bit of research and you will find that laying or climbing on top of each other is a dominance behavior.

im not saying you arent experienced. im sure you are, because you have given me a ton of advice on here, all i am trying to say is i know my animals and they are both thriving. sometimes it can just depend, my opinion thats it.
and i do, do a lot of research, im planning on going to college to be a herpetologist :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dominance won't always cause stress in either of the animals. There are times the dominated part of the couple is ok with it, doesn't mean it isn't dominance.

BillieJeAn

okay so maybe it is dominance. but if it doesnt cause him any harm or stress than i'm not worried about it.
though they do enjoy each others company, i was surprised at how much but they are attached to each other.

Joshjack90

james.w said:
You say your beardie likes to lay on other beardies. Do you have any idea what this means?? It is a dominance behavior. This is why they are meant to be kept seperate unless breeding.

No she doesnt like to lay on other beardies. They laid on her, but only when basking because she was bigger than them.

BillieJeAn said:
i have found there can be exception for "solitary" animals.
i have to golden geckos, everywhere i read it said it was stressful for them to be together, but my two LOVE being together, the smaller one rides on the larger ones back, and they are always in the same hide, (i made multiple ones in case of aggression) so i think if you trust your animal will be okay, then dont worry to much. if they are aggressive towards each other separating seems simple :p
just though i'd leave my input lol

THANKS!!!

Vermundor

That's not good either, because your future beardie could harm her if it tries to assert dominance over her. I'm just wondering why you're looking to house them together? They do not need a "friend", nor do they care for one, so what's the point? I'd just sell the tank, then buy two big ones for each beardie. Even though your female likes the big tank, she'll be comfortable in a 4x2. If you're worried that she's lonely, spend more time with her. You don't need to put another beardie in her tank to increase competition and risk.

With that in mind I hope you chose the wiser decision, not the more desirable one. Good luck on finding a pretty beardie though! You seem to have an awful lot of reptiles since you said that you have a good amount of experience and that you still live with your parents.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Joshjack90 said:
jerobi2k said:
I was breeding beardies for close to 8 years my main M/F pair were raised together, the only time they were separated was when I knew she was gravid. they were housed together for 10years with no issue. I do agree this is the unlikely, but it is possible and if you do see signs of aggressive behavior towards one another you can always separate if need be. they had a basking area the size of what my large Tegu has (more than enough room for 2 beardies) and she would always lay on him and I never once saw anything that resembled aggressive behavior. but I always felt I was lucky to have such a pair, I hope you find yourself with the same :D best of luck

Glad to hear that! I would be keeping 2 females together, so i honestly dont think there will be any problems! She has been with other dragons and loves to lay on them. I know there is the concern there, but i can always separate if need be. THANKS!!!

right here you say she loves to lay on other beardies, but now you say they lay on her. Which is it?

I love it when kids claim to have years of experience and insist on arguing with people twice their age with at least twice as much experience.

herpgirl2510

LMAO James I could not have said it better myself^^ I feel like I am having a debate with my 17 year old however I do remember when I was a teenager and I knew everything also.

Joshjack90

Vermundor said:
That's not good either, because your future beardie could harm her if it tries to assert dominance over her. I'm just wondering why you're looking to house them together? They do not need a "friend", nor do they care for one, so what's the point? I'd just sell the tank, then buy two big ones for each beardie. Even though your female likes the big tank, she'll be comfortable in a 4x2. If you're worried that she's lonely, spend more time with her. You don't need to put another beardie in her tank to increase competition and risk.

With that in mind I hope you chose the wiser decision, not the more desirable one. Good luck on finding a pretty beardie though! You seem to have an awful lot of reptiles since you said that you have a good amount of experience and that you still live with your parents.

I might sell the tank she is in now and buy 2 tanks, its just a space issue and lighting issue. If they get along in one tank why have 2 more lights and another tank? atleast thats how i see it.. have 4 lizards as of now and am looking to get a few more beardies and another tegu also maybe a ball python. Thanks!

Joshjack90

james.w said:
Joshjack90 said:
jerobi2k said:
I was breeding beardies for close to 8 years my main M/F pair were raised together, the only time they were separated was when I knew she was gravid. they were housed together for 10years with no issue. I do agree this is the unlikely, but it is possible and if you do see signs of aggressive behavior towards one another you can always separate if need be. they had a basking area the size of what my large Tegu has (more than enough room for 2 beardies) and she would always lay on him and I never once saw anything that resembled aggressive behavior. but I always felt I was lucky to have such a pair, I hope you find yourself with the same :D best of luck

Glad to hear that! I would be keeping 2 females together, so i honestly dont think there will be any problems! She has been with other dragons and loves to lay on them. I know there is the concern there, but i can always separate if need be. THANKS!!!

right here you say she loves to lay on other beardies, but now you say they lay on her. Which is it?

I love it when kids claim to have years of experience and insist on arguing with people twice their age with at least twice as much experience.

they laid on her. And i do have experience, im not saying you dont? You were in my shoes once and i bet you thought you had alot of experience. I never once said anyone on here deesnt have experience with herps cuz everyone does. I have 10 years experience started when i was 6 years old so i think im doing pretty good..
Neeko said:
Wish I could have lots reptiles, bit space is an issue aswell.

I wish i could have more. My dad is giving me a whole room in the house for my reptiles so i can expand. His only rule is i have to pay for everything, which isnt an issue cuz i breed and raise all of my lizards food other than meats for my tegu.

herpgirl2510

I might sell the tank she is in now and buy 2 tanks, its just a space issue and lighting issue. If they get along in one tank why have 2 more lights and another tank? atleast thats how i see it.. have 4 lizards as of now and am looking to get a few more beardies and another tegu also maybe a ball python. Thanks!

Seriously if space is already an issue why would you get more?

Read more: http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=9149&page=3#ixzz1V3ENzQ4Y

Joshjack90

herpgirl2510 said:

Seriously if space is already an issue why would you get more?

Read more: http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=9149&page=3#ixzz1V3ENzQ4Y

Space isnt a huge issue really. Im Getting a whole room for just my reptiles here soon.

hoosier

5 Year Member
JoshJack90: i would say wait until you have that room. Im 21 so i was in your shoes not too long ago and one thing i can tell you is that parents change their minds. A lot. i once had a whole room downstairs that i was told i could use until they decided a few days later they wanted to finish the basement and that would be the bathroom and i honestly agree with james and herpgirl whole heartedly(sp??). i had 2 bearded dragons when i was your age also. one male one female. i had both of their enclosures next to eachother and had to actually blackout the sides facing eachother because my male would stress her out and headbob non stop for hours just stressing her out bad. i once even tried to house them together and for a brief time they did fine together but my male would drive her to the ground in a dominance display way too often and i had to seperate them again. honestly please wait and get another enclosure. i know listening to older members feels like they are trying to tell you what to do but they are really looking out for you and your dragon.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam