• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Wild Animal Permit

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
So I was at the store by animal supplies like I do every week and while walking around to check out the stock I noticed a sign with a list of reptiles that require wild animal permits within the city of Los Angeles. Most of the species were big constrictors, but to my surprise tegus were on the list. When I bough Kodo, I was not told I needed any sort of permit to own him. The sign is up in the fish section, which is probably why I only just noticed it today since I usually don't look at their fish. I don't live in LA city proper, but Agoura Hills is in LA County so I don't know if the rules apply. I've had Kodo for a few months and while I am more than happy to comply with animal regulations I don't want to call, accidentally implicate myself in some way, and have them take Kodo away. What should I do? Do you really need a permit to own a tegu as a pet? Green iguanas and boa constrictors were also on the list and I see those in PetSmart/PetCo all the time. If they try to take Kodo away from me I will show them that I am more likely to bite fingers off than any tegu. Why would they sell me a pet that requires a special permit without telling me about the permit? I have been having anxiety attacks ever since I saw that damn sign.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would just call the dept of wildlife and tell them you are thinking of getting a tegu and saw the sign and wondered what you were required to do.

kellen.watkins

Yeah I would go through the right channels and pretend you never had him in the first place I'm sure you will be fine I doubt a game warden is gonna come flash bang your house and put you on the ground cuff your tegu and take him away... the mental image of that is kinda amusing though lol

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
kellen.watkins said:
Yeah I would go through the right channels and pretend you never had him in the first place I'm sure you will be fine I doubt a game warden is gonna come flash bang your house and put you on the ground cuff your tegu and take him away... the mental image of that is kinda amusing though lol

Lol, that is a funny image. Kodo already has the black and white stripes; if he were a red tegu he'd better match the prison jumpsuits.

herpgirl2510

When I wanted a permit to own a savannah monitor in massachusetts I just called and requested an application. In mass you have to have a sworn affadavit from the breeder saying it is cbb and pay $25 yearly. It sounds to me if you are not in city limits thee is not a prolem.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Cities can have one set of rules, then counties, and states. In FL, state law trumps local laws. I'd follow the other suggestions and make an inquiry as if you are a potential buyer.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Thank you guys for all your advice and reassurance. My dad is a lawyer so I asked him and he said if it says "in the city of Los Angeles" then it's only applicable within the city limits so I'm okay. I read the regulations online and they seem to apply only within the city. I'm just paranoid and was afraid I'd accidentally done something wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam