• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Zoo Med Forest Floor Substrate

pistolpete

5 Year Member
I just moved my Tegu onto Zoo-Meds forest floor substrate and am unhappy with the product. Last night I noticed white bugs crawling all over the decorations and substrate, but luckily they are not on my tegu. So today I will be removing the substrate and baking my wood. What other substrates do you suggest. My cage is 48X24X24 so it would take forever to bake all my substrate.

Gx3

5 Year Member
I highly recommend (and have been using for quite some time) the cypress substrate from lllreptile.com it is great and relatively well priced. Just buy the largest quantity (I forget what it is) and they will ship it in a big box and inside it is a big garbage bag filled with cypress mulch. I have never had any problems with bugs or anything at all. Highly recommended.

Gx3

5 Year Member
Oh and I just thought that I would add...when I worked at Petco (I know I know) that bedding would sit there for literally over a year, and it was stored under the animal tanks which had UV lighting and when I was looking through the bags I not only found black widows that had made there way into the bag but mushrooms growing inside because of the humidity in the bag. Always be careful buying substrates from stores and make sure there are NO holes or punctures or anything in them. At Petco we always had wood mites (they didn't really get on the animals) and I would change their substrate as often as I could but my manager did absolutely nothing about it (or many other problems related to the animals). Petco is a horrible place (when I worked there we had NO manager for over 4 months!)

pistolpete

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. The substrate was still in the box I had picked it up straight from my supplier. (I work at a fish store, but my suppliers carry reptile supplies). I have baked everything so I hope I will be mite free, but I think I am going to toss all the bedding away and start with new substrate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam