• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

1-2 y/o tegu diet size/suggestions?

Skeetzy

My tegu's diet really picked up in the past couple weeks, and I don't really remember reading anything about serving sizes. Up until about a month ago, there was always a little leftover meat on his plate, or the last mouse I'd offer would take a little coercion. Now he devours everything I give him, and doesn't seem like he's ever full. I don't want to overfeed him and end up with an obese 'gu, but want to make sure I'm feeding him enough. I feed him from 5-6 days a week, and I believe he is putting on enough weight. I typically buy 11(Buy 10 get 1, if you're thinking why 11) large mice a week, and feed him those 2 or 3 days a week. The other days he gets ground meat with the bones/organs, mixed with 1 tbps/lb of both calcium powder, with no d3, and cod liver oil, and multivitamin mixed in occasionally. Like I said, normally about 2-3 ounces of meat would leave him leftovers, now I'm giving him about 4 ounces, and he's demolishing it.

I'm going to switch him over to small rats next trip, and see if he'll take 1 or 2 of those instead of the mice. But on the meat days, I feel like the meat is not filling enough for him. I've tried giving him fruit to supplement, and he doesn't touch any of it. I've tried strawberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, kiwi, mango, grapes, and honeydew melon. Any suggestions that are readily available at the supermarket to supplement to the meat? The picture of the eggs were his first two hard boiled eggs, a gift from some friends to him, from leftover easter eggs. Are chicken legs/wings okay to feed? Bone and all?

Just for reference, the litter box I use as a water pan is 22"x16". I forget how large the tile is, I believe 16"16", but could be off. Included a growth picture of approx. 1 year apart. It was taken a month or two ago.

Attachments

• IMAG1736.jpg
    IMAG1736.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMAG1770_1.jpg
    IMAG1770_1.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20140413_132553.jpg
    IMG_20140413_132553.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • PhotoGrid_1395776913412.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1395776913412.jpg
    996.4 KB · Views: 32

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What a happy and healthy looking boy! Easiest way to monitor feeding is to keep notes on what he eats, how much he weighs and grows. I would attempt to de-bone bigger pieces of meat.

Skeetzy

Appreciate the input Josh! I've been keeping his diet steady at what it's been, and even though he always seems hungry, he is putting on size/girth just as I expect he should. I try to feed him enough that the "fold" along his side goes almost completely away every day. I believe that's a good thing to watch for when it comes to feeding.

Thanks on the bone advice!

P.S. He is definitely a male. If the jowls weren't a good confirmation of it, the sperm plugs and hemipenes that pokes out occasionally do a good job.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam