• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

1 pounder runs at the site of me

nightanole

So i have a 1 pound red female.

I can:
pick her up at any time, she is a potato
never scratches, tail wipes, or bites
Will hyperventilate (and slowly walk away) if you place your hand on her back in the cage

I do have 2 issues.

First issue is if she is out of the cage (she gets 2-4 hours of yard time in the "reptile" room every few days) she runs at the site of anyone that walks into the room.

The second issue is she wont eat unless she is well hidden behind something outside of the cage, and then you have to use tongs and slide the 2-3" plate of food to her. She will not accept any food in the cage nor if she is placed in a feeding tub.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How long have you been giving her yard time? If not so long, may need time to habituate to big area.

nightanole

How long have you been giving her yard time? If not so long, may need time to habituate to big area.

About a month. I have baby proofed it and she has found about 3-4 hides she likes to sleep in. So around noon if she is up, i put a ramp in her cage so she can crawl out and explore, and then around 4pm, if she is out, i remove the ramp and pop her back into the cage.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
About a month. I have baby proofed it and she has found about 3-4 hides she likes to sleep in. So around noon if she is up, i put a ramp in her cage so she can crawl out and explore, and then around 4pm, if she is out, i remove the ramp and pop her back into the cage.
That's great. She just needs time if nothing is actively scaring her.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced