• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

1 year old Tegu, backs away from me?

Daniel Daley

Hi guys,

On an old account I was speaking to a chap on here from America (uk guy here) and he was very helpful, I couldn't remember his name, Harold comes to mind;

I've had my tegu for a year now and we have been through so much its incredible, I have a 8x4x4 enclosure, Basking spot is 115-124 depending where he lays, the gradient is around 85-95f and has efficient UVB lighting

He eats very well, he loves his chicks, rats. I also feed him smoothies that I make which I use the food sheet for that I found here, and I feed him lots of different bits. He also has his calcium and multi vits on scheduled days.

Now the issue I'm having is, he stays in his hide box, alot. I work 9-5 so I don't see him come out of the enclosure, he probably does for all I know, I know he leaves poo everywhere so he must do.

In the evening, I'll come home and feed him, I'll try stroke him, he will then look at me and back away slowly into his hide box. Can anyone suggest anything? He seems like he hates me. I'm happy to try anything, I understand that it may always be like this, but I want to try the best I can.

Thanks all.

Daniel Daley

Also, one last thing, if I take the hide box away, and put Cypress Mulch in a pile, would this be better? I can get to see him to interact with him this way instead of trying to lure him out of his hide box

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Walter1 here.

This issue is an easy one for me. Less time with him means more shyness. They're most active in the morning, again a bit in afternoon.

Sit near his enclosure to do tasks and talk to him. He'll hear you.

Throw a recently-sweated shiet in hide again.

He knows you, so you can retrive him from his hide and set him on your lap with his head under your shirt for cover/security.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hes pretty big now...... If its simply just backing away I would have an hands on approach and proceed to take him out, hold him, stroking him till hes calm..... BUT.... if there is agression there I would take a few steps back and progress to more trust building like Walter says.

Daniel Daley

Hello guys,

I'm really sorry I've not responded, I've had some difficulties with family ties as of late.

Just an update, I've been getting more involved a few times a day with him lately and he seems to not be backing away as much,

Yeah no aggression, all he is doing is backing away and looking at me, I have came to realize since seeing the replies here that shyness could be it.

Thank you for all your kind responses,

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Alpha is also about 1 and if there is a way of avoiding me picking him up he'll take it .... I think it's just trying to push the boundaries and routine as he grows, he's not very big on cuddles......lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam