• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Advice about best heating for custom shelf units for snakes

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Hey... looking into constructing a unit for multiple snakes so I can have them all in my room in one space instead of tanks on dressers all over the house :) we are going to create a shelf-like unit to house them on top of each other. Similar to the plastic drawer systems you see, but i like to be able to see my babies crawling around even when they are not out being held, which is why I'm not sticking them in drawers. Anyway... I'm thinking either plexi or glass fronts, sliding or latch with hinge open access. My 'issue ' is i have been looking into the most practical heating method and was told heat tape was good to use. However i'd need to probably make plexi or glass bottoms for this to work. Or have small sections along the side wall cut out and plexi or glass inserted there to then tape the heat tape onto. I'm wary about the tape because never used it before. Have always used lamps and heat pads. Does anyone have ideas on uncomplicated ways to construct such a unit and what the best way to heat it would be? Thanks so much. Also the snakes are 1 corn and 2 ball pythons. My carpet python will be housed in a seperate custom unit because of the height requirement.

Scott_k

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been looking into building a rack for my smaller snakes. Flex watt heat tape would be the best way to go. I cannot give advice on setting it up because I am still figuring it out. You tube has alot of good videos on how to set it up. As far as the bottoms go, right now I use sterelite bins and I'm pretty sure the need a temp of about 130 or higher to actually start to melt, and with the tape and a thermostat there should be no issues there.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Heat tape would pretty much be the only sensible way, which can be mounted as belly or back heat. Also there are clear bins that you can use like these or something similar.

http://www.boaphileplastics.com/rhinoraxx_thirty_clear_shoe.html

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I just don't like the idea of putting my snakes in plastic bins that I can't see them through. I know many do this, but part of my enjoyment of them is to watch them crawl around in their cages. My bf was going to purchase those reptile drawers for like 300 bucks! I'm like, "they have them cheaper at walmart! "Haha. Many walmart tubs are huge too and have self locking lids. Sheesh. But anyway... again, even the 'clear ' tubs aren't really see-through

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced