• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Almost scaleless BP

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm not sure if this link will work but Ace of Snakes shared a couple pictures on facebook. They were not the ones to produce it.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ACE-OF-SNAKES/283697129344

Anyway, I thought it looked kinda cool. Mildly creepy but cool. I hadn't seen one before. I googled a few others, definitely not as cute as a little BP. I thought I would share it with those who hadn't seen one before.
Does anyone know how this happens? Is it a random mutation or are there traits that people look for when breeding?

156389_10151415322414345_817757665_n.jpg

150926_10151415333879345_381580843_n.jpg

Cassie

This is the "derma ball" and, to my knowledge, its really the only ball out there that's missing this many scales. BHB has a slightly scaleless BP (its missing some scales on its head) that they're trying to prove to be genetic.
All color/pattern/whatever mutations really are random and are then proved out and, finally, specifically bred for.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't much about ball pythons, but my assumption is this is genetic. Bearded dragons have a scaleless morph and I assume this is along the same lines

bfb345

yes i assume so bhb has scale less corn snakes that has proven to be genetic which i hope this will be the same thing but i cant see them being very popular due to the color being blurred without the scales so it will not be as bright or colorful but either way it will be cool

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's been around since at least '05 and I haven't seen or heard of any new info or pics. The same pics just keep popping up every so often. If it's still alive or even proven to be genetic (recessive or dominant) their keeping it hush hush.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What about the death adder? That was another one I had seen. I don't follow anything that has to do with snakes.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Can it bask without scales? Maybe with SPF40 sunblock? I don't care much for fancy color morphs or anything like that. I feel they are weaker mostly due to a limited gene pool. I like animals to be like nature intended them to be. Although I would like to have a featherless chicken.

Cassie

Dubya said:
Can it bask without scales? Maybe with SPF40 sunblock? I don't care much for fancy color morphs or anything like that. I feel they are weaker mostly due to a limited gene pool. I like animals to be like nature intended them to be. Although I would like to have a featherless chicken.

Most color morphs do happen naturally, to begin with at least, and then they're specifically bred for later. Like pastel ball pythons, they're just BPs with lighter coloration and happened "naturally", meaning no one used some fancy genetic alteration. You'll find loads of "dinker" ball pythons out and about, dinker meaning a normal BP with nice colors or patterning that could turn out to be genetic (and thus the next big morph); these are all babies that happened naturally and are just cool looking.
Its like the "Midnight Gin" we have in the BCI world (or the new sunset BPs from BHB and the unproven viper BP both of which came from the wild), it was just a boa born with thick black saddles and wound up being an all black boa (and its gorgeous and I'd kill to have one).
The other thing with morphs is dominant, recessive, and co-doms. Mojave, for example, is a dominant trait in the BP world, so if you get a Mojave and a non-related normal you've got a 50/50 shot at another Mojave, which allows new blood to be added to the gene pool.
Its true that some color or patterns mutations have a genetic defect, such as the Spider BP and its "wobble", its something that just happens in snakes with this specific trait and no one has been able to breed it out.
Sometimes people go "okay these two both have similar patterns so let's see what can happen" and a morph is created but most base morphs are something that just happened by accident.

I could go on for ages (snake breeder here) but I'll cut it short.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I had one many years ago. I thought I remembered it basking. I guess I was wrong.

TeguBlake

Dubya said:
I had one many years ago. I thought I remembered it basking. I guess I was wrong.

maybe it did? you never really know what they want to do. i have one ball python that is out half day and half night and one that is all night. but 99% of BP are nocturnal. that's why they are escape artist lol.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
My ball pythons do have a warm and cool side.one has light aimed at rock which sometimes he uses but mostly they are on cool side and mostly active at night. :)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam