• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Another rescued Leopard Gecko...any advice?

Kourtney

5 Year Member
Alright, so I have two leos now. The first was a 'I have a horse now, don't want the gecko anymore' situation, so I have him now. When I got him, he was stick thin, as he was fed 4 small crickets a MONTH. Now, he's a nice, fat, big healthy boy.

Thursday of this week, I aquired a second leopard gecko, a female this time. She appears to be young (not tiny, the shape of her head and her size just makes her appear younger) and she is a bit thin. She has had many sheds that seem to have stuck on her toes, and it looks like she's going to be losing about 5 or 6 of her toes, mostly on the front feet. She's kinda dull colored, not really sure if thats too much of a health thing, I know some just aren't as bright.

She isn't eating. I have a dish of mealworms and have tried to get her to eat crickets. She'll watch the crickets walk around and look interested in the wiggling mealworms, but I haven't seen her eat.

I know with bearded dragons, they are really picky about change and can take a week or so to adjust, and in this time they may not eat that much. Is this the same with leos?

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

I love rescueing reptiles, but now I don't have room for the frilled dragon I was going to get =(...oh well, the leo's are cuties!

--Kourtney

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
We'll get an expert in here. By no means am I an expert. I've never owned leos before. Though it would make since that it may be a week until they get settled in.

big

5 Year Member
well i feel usefull i actaully have some advice

for the toes sit her in childrens unflavored electrolyte. enough to submurge her feet an no more. if she drinks it its no big deal.

If she does lose toes watch for blood loss make sure to remove the humid hide once the toes are gone and keep her real dry.

as for the not eating. its just stress. if she doesnt eat in a week or so try a different kind of food. try butter or silk worms they seem to trigger a pretty good feed response. and if worse comes to worse throw some wax worms in there.

good luck with your new gecko.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
big said:
well i feel usefull i actaully have some advice

for the toes sit her in childrens unflavored electrolyte. enough to submurge her feet an no more. if she drinks it its no big deal.

If she does lose toes watch for blood loss make sure to remove the humid hide once the toes are gone and keep her real dry.

as for the not eating. its just stress. if she doesnt eat in a week or so try a different kind of food. try butter or silk worms they seem to trigger a pretty good feed response. and if worse comes to worse throw some wax worms in there.

good luck with your new gecko.

I would say that is pretty good advice. You need to watch the toes real close, at the first sign of infection take it to the vet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam