• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Anyone Ever take their tegu anywhere?

corruptphantasm

As the title says has anyone ever takin their tegu anywhere I'm going for a couple days to my cabin thats 2 hours away and i cant find anyone to watch my gu so i was thinking of taking him with me.
So if you've takin your tegu anywhere howed you do it? and where did you go?

naturboy87

haha hear we go camping , fishing , shoping , bank , pet shops , cataleana , big bear , san deago, Beach, parks , just about eny wher u can take a dog iv taken one of my gus with me ...

HeatherN

i was actually thinking of taking my tegu up to a cabin on a lake with me for a week, i don't trust anyone down here to look after him for me! i have the same question as phantasm, how did it work out? what kind of places have you taken them? any signs of stress or unhappiness? thanks!

and id be taking mine up to near big bear, nature. :)

naturboy87

haha cool ill be on the lake friday with Blue man fishen it up lol #1 alwase on the leash at ALL times .. #2 he wont eat much but insted drink lots of h2o ... #3 i just let mine sleep with me so i know their worm enuf all night and safe ... stress not realy they just seem to go to sleep it off if their not happy with wats gong on around them at the time ... but the best part is the bond between the two of you will get even stronger now that u do fun exiting things together ... Spoiled Tegus lol

m3s4

I take mine all over - same as stated above - anywhere you take other pets you can take your 'gu. If you take him, try and get us some shots of the action!

Many people don't want to take their tegus places, which imo is sad. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a companion if they aren't actually doing things with you. And I don't consider any of this "doing things" with you:

a) sitting in an enclosure (pet prison)
b) sitting in a tub to soak or eat then going back into pet prison
c) sleeping

As for specifics, I've taken mine to the annual Hot-Rod show we have here the last 3 years in a row. People know my tegus more then they know me :p. Every year people expect to see a tegu or two with me - and most are eager to pet them and take a peek.

I have a dog-stroller (surely people have see these?) that's large enough for 2 small tegus or 1 large. Designed for small dogs, you'd be amazed at how well this works to take tegus with you anywhere you go. Might as well be a baby stroller.

naturboy87

[attachment=4397]
just anuther day at work lol spoiled roten ...

Attachments

• Deisle at work.jpg
    Deisle at work.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 201

m3s4

naturboy87 said:

Awesome! Your tegu looks great. What a rough life haha...Mine know it all too well.

Here's the pet stroller I use when I take mine with me for extended periods:

1068400377C.jpg

You know it's bad when people know you BECAUSE of your tegu(s) - happens all the time.

naturboy87

m3s4 said:
naturboy87 said:

Awesome! Your tegu looks great. What a rough life haha...Mine know it all too well.

Here's the pet stroller I use when I take mine with me for extended periods:

1068400377C.jpg

You know it's bad when people know you BECAUSE of your tegu(s) - happens all the time.

haha thats to funny ya but i never take moor then one with me its plenty enuf to handle haveing one wen i take 2 they just beet me up lol

ilovelizards

I take mine& sometimes other reptiles everywere a I go that pets are allowed,(cross country road trips,camping,fishing,festables,state parts,local springs and lakes Once to the ocean,beach,party,on the boat,rv,golfcart,car,bycical,motorcycle,stores,even to school when allowed ect)On long trips I always bring fimilar stuff and most of my reptiles(except for one hellen of a bearded dragon) are exstreamly well socalized and once a harness fits on them(and there not exstreamly tiny) and they have been hand tamed by me and unstartled by visitors I take them out wherever i go always on a leash
&well fed.

HeatherN

I've taken both of my bearded dragons with me places, and they were very well behaved. i just wanted to be sure about the tegu. you guys all sound like awesome owners! if i were a tegu, id pray to get bought by you. :p

ilovelizards

HeatherN said:
I've taken both of my bearded dragons with me places, and they were very well behaved. i just wanted to be sure about the tegu. you guys all sound like awesome owners! if i were a tegu, id pray to get bought by you. :p

Ive had three past dragons were all sweet hearts and I own 2 right now one is sweet but is a black soil dragon mix so is small and kind weirdly shaped and the other is weird I held him alot when he was little and have tryed to keep holding him but he is just a pig like hellen of a dragon.Ive never owned one with such a temper..

Darwin the Tegu

I don't have a tegu yet, but i have a uromastyx and I take him everywhere with me and almost every person that owns a tegu, takes it with them. You almost have to think of them as your baby, they have socialization needs just like a child and un like a child they are easier to take with you. So go ahead and take him with you, you can get him harness (if he is a good boy and sit him on the seat next to you) maybe a dog stroller, a dog crate to put him in if you can't take him with you to a certain place and since he wont have an actual cage, take a heating pad for him to lay on to keep warm. Hope this was helpful

corruptphantasm

HeatherN said:
thank you so much everyone, this is a load off my mind for sure. and sorry phantasm, didn't mean to thread-jack! >.<

It's cool i didn't even know anyone replied i never got my usual emails or anything for some reason. Thanks for all the great info everyone. and what should i do i have to leave early and he sleeps till like 3 so how should i go about taking him? should i put him in a smaller tank or something the night before? he's a little over a year old hes in a 8x4x3 cage so you get what my situation is?

Dana C

"I don't have a tegu yet, but i have a uromastyx and I take him everywhere with me and almost every person that owns a tegu, takes it with them"

That really isn't true. Most people don't take their tegus with them everywhere. Between stress, fear and hostile people for some tegus, trips to the park, Petsmart or where ever doesn't work. For others it is fine but there are risks involved that need to acknowledged including the tegu biting someone or someones pet. I have a Tegu for example that loves me, loves to be held, petted, scratched, you name it. Outside, he freaks. As a stranger, you would lose a finger if you got to close.

Dom3rd

5 Year Member
I have had similar happenings with my female B&W Tegu. She freaks out when she is not in the house she even got aggressive at me with was weird as heck. Now my male on the other had i have taken him to the pet store with me before but as he go bigger a little harder to handle but he is still manageable. Is there any way to lessen the stress for them or help get them over it or is it just a roll of the dice whether they will like it or not?

Johnnydr

I like to bring my GU out to petco, outdoor lunch, or a romp in the grass a couple times a week to soak up some natural rays. I do a lot of educational shows and stuff, so I like all my herps to be acclimated to handling and travel. When he is out and about I always bring blankets, so if he is feeling a bit stressed, he has the option to "burrow" and then I know he's had enough.

It all depends on the tegu!

m3s4

Johnnydr said:
I like to bring my GU out to petco, outdoor lunch, or a romp in the grass a couple times a week to soak up some natural rays. I do a lot of educational shows and stuff, so I like all my herps to be acclimated to handling and travel. When he is out and about I always bring blankets, so if he is feeling a bit stressed, he has the option to "burrow" and then I know he's had enough.

It all depends on the tegu!

"I like all my tegus to be acclimated to handling and travel"

"When he is out and about I always bring blankets, so if he is feeling a bit stressed, he has the option to "burrow" and then I know he's had enough."

In my humble opinion, this is a brilliant way to handle some crucial parts of socialization.

tresh

I've learned to do that with my Ammy...I always carry a large towel and a cloth bag with me, so when she gets stressed, I can put her in her nice safe bag and let her calm down. She definitely lets me know when she's had enough and needs a safety-zone.

I'm loving the idea of using a dog stroller to take her places with me though...I think she'd enjoy that, and she certainly loves people. Just not a lot of people at a time yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced