• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Anyone Here Into Retics?

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
I just ordered a normal female baby Retic from Bob Clark.. I'm so excited! Can't wait for her to get here! Those were the two reptiles i really wanted to get this year: a Retic and a Tegu(and i gave Bobby a deposit on a B&W, so should have a Tegu this summer!). Now that i have my new job i'm making enough extra to get some of the herps i've wanted.

But.. yeah. Anyone else here into Reticulated Pythons? I think they're lovely... I think their normal natural patterns are just as beautiful as any of the fancy morphs out there, which is why i'm getting a normal(plus the money factor!). This will be my first "Giant" snake, but i think hanging around the pet shops holding their big snakes and obsessive research have prepared me. I LOVE big snakes! Plus, the baby i'm getting is about 26" long, so i'll get used to her size as she grows. Hopefully when she grows i'll have a nice big, healthy, monster-snake! heh :-D

If anyone here has retics, post some pics! I'm sure i'll go crazy with the digital camera as soon as my baby gets here.

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
I know to be careful. Most experienced people i talk to who have retics and other big ones "hook-train" them to cancel out that crazy feeding-response when they're going to handle them, and they say it works pretty well. I plan on doing that from day 1 with my snake. So, hopefully by the time she's big enough to do any major damage to me the chances of being bitten will be less.. They do have a nasty bite, but i think a lot of what people say about them being particularly "aggressive" is outdated, from back when most pet retics were WC. A lot of retic-keepers and breeders i talk to compare their temperament when CB to a burmese, just usually more alert. Hopefully i'll be alright. If not, i'll have someone nearby to help get the snake off of me and call the hospital.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
We have had many Retics here in the rescue, from normals to supertigers, 22 inches to 16 feet. This is a photo my daughter shot when we had several at once, showing the different patterns and colors.
30216retic_patterns.jpg

Retics are one of her favorites and we've had some really docile ones here. We've also had some pretty nasty ones.
i18869499-8883-48E7-BB34-727A29C39B18.jpg

i5AE460A4-1269-4119-83B0-DFB562109EE9.jpg

i2EEF1806-5F8A-46AC-A6D0-518653D71C65.jpg
[/img]

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hook training is a good idea. Most of my buddies with large reptiles at all (including large carnivorous lizards) hook train them for feeding rodents.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Love retics. I think they're beautiful, but I don't believe that they should be publicly sold without some form of regulation and requirements. First point being you must be over 18.

Lotsa burms end up on my doorstep and I have many collectors who take them after they've been rehabbed by us, but danger to humans is not the only problem, a retic eats a neighbors young golden retriever and you've got a lawsuit and a euthanized snake.

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
I sort of agree to some extent that there should be some requirements for owning certain reptiles(giant snakes), and some other exotics... As long as they're not so harsh that they keep a lot of serious/knowledgeable herp keepers from having them.

But i'm pretty sure that i'll be able to keep one just fine. I've been interested in retics for awhile, and have been doing obsessive research about keeping them. I'm fully aware of how big they get, and that's one of the reasons i like them so much!

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I'm totally in favor of government regulation. Besides most retics either end up in lousy enclosures or reptile rescues like Jif's.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
i had a retic for a while..theyre great animals.
mine was really cool. be carefull though . theyre capable of suffocating a human being.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602