• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Anyone know if Perlite is safe in substrate?

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
Im wondering if anyone knows if potting soil is safe to use. I saw some tonight at a hardware store. It had no fertilizers in it, just sphagnum moss and perlite. I didnt buy it because Im thinking with the perlite in it, it may not be safe. Does anyone know if its ok to use? Its a lot cheaper than whats in pet stores.

joog

5 Year Member
Perlite is volcano rock, perlite is excellent for eggs to hatch. In holland we grow our weed on it :mrgreen:

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
thats what I was thinking DaveDragon.. I know they will eat it and I cant imagine it would be good in their bellies

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
really! that makes me tempted to use it.. I know some of my lizards would definitely eat it though.. has your geckos ever eaten a piece?

joog

5 Year Member
Yes somtimes happens it, i think that thy clean it before thy use it in the garden industrie. But it is just stone. Like i said, it is perfect for hatching eggs. does anyone here use it for his eggs??

UnoCinco

5 Year Member
I read in a book about making custom enclosures for reptiles that perlite should never be used, as some reptiles may mistake it for stones that can often be ingested as a way to absorb calcium. I don't exactly know how true this is for tegus, but when mixing substrate for my tegu I opted to stay away from it. instead, I bought some top soil and mixed in moss seperately along with some mulch and what not. I have witnessed my tegu ingesting small rocks at times and so am glad that I left it out! I wouldn't want to find out it was bad for them the hard way!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980