• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Argentine/Colombian Cross??

JkiddReptiles

Ok so i went into my local reptile store today and there was a new tegu there. The guy told me it was a cross between a Gold Colombian tegu and a Black and White Argentine tegu. I looked at it and it looked like an Argentine. However the coloring was a brownish/gold color. It has the two loreal scales and the striping down the back. So is this a true hybrid or a odd colored argentine? The picture isn't so great. I'll take a better one next time i go.

17676720120828_170201-med.jpg

Ntyvirus

That tegu came in a little while ago and we were told it was a hybrid, it does look argentine but like you said the color is definitely Colombian. I'll snag a good picture for you tomorrow to post as I would like a definitive answer myself

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It looks like the Florida Wild Caught tegu. They have more brownish to them then white.

JkiddReptiles

Ntyvirus said:
That tegu came in a little while ago and we were told it was a hybrid, it does look argentine but like you said the color is definitely Colombian. I'll snag a good picture for you tomorrow to post as I would like a definitive answer myself

Ntyvirus are you are the from Pangea Pets, off South Dixie? I am they guy that came in on Tuesday look at the tegu and i got some crickets.

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
JkiddReptiles said:
Ntyvirus said:

Ntyvirus are you are the from Pangea Pets, off South Dixie? I am they guy that came in on Tuesday look at the tegu and i got some crickets.

its actually a wild tegu ive been their plenty of time i bought most my reptiles from their...i took a picture of it and took it to a good friend of mine and he said thats how wild tegus look down here he said their a place in fort myers where you catch a lot them.....but i really dont and can't tell you(but he breeds tegus and is good sexing them so i believed him)

chelvis said:
It looks like the Florida Wild Caught tegu. They have more brownish to them then white.

Hey chelvis i drive to that store every week..thats where i buy my crickets,and rats too feed my reptiles(hopefully they'll start selling snail meat so i dont have to drive all the way to deerfield) but its not a brown color its a gold slash grey color i snapped a pic myself to take it to a breeder i know and he said that there wild tegus from florida up by fort myers...theirs a lot he said he will catch one for me and take a pic so i can match and see....i'll keep you posted

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's an Argentine. A cross between a Colombian and an Argentine hasn't been documented yet, and the only way I, and many others can ever see it happening is if it's done in a lab.

Logie_Bear

You'd think with as many people breeding hybrid tegus a columbian/ Argentine cross would have cropped up by now. Anybody know someone who has tried pairing them up?

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
bmx3000max said:
So its imposible for the two to breed?

i really dont think it's in possible it just never been documented...i mean you go to the pet store and they swear by it.....i told them if they tame it down i'll buy it cause it's a bitter and i already have a two foot red argentine tegu that i bought from them like 7 months ago and it won't tame down for ****....but like i said they swear by it but i took pic's of it and took it to a breeder i know in fort myers and they told me it a wild caught tegu from fort myers that they have a lot roaming around and i believe him for two reasons one he told me if he see one he'll catch it and give it to me for free(what other person does that) two if it was a hybrid and something thats never been documented before....why sell it for only 99.00 bucks....i posted the same pic's i showed a tegu breeder friend of mine

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/3950/getattachment2aspxb.jpg

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6970/getattachment3aspxl.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/272/getattachmentaspxpj.jpg

m3s4

Yea that's definitely an Argentine.

For $99 I'd most definitely grab it - for the simple fact it's quite unique and by Argentine standards, a pretty good deal as well.

I'd expect to see double that price in most reptile spots - especially here where the avg. Argentine is 250+$ and reds are 300+$.

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
m3s4 said:

For $99 I'd most definitely grab it - for the simple fact it's quite unique and by Argentine standards, a pretty good deal as well.

I'd expect to see double that price in most reptile spots - especially here where the avg. Argentine is 250+$ and reds are 300+$.

yea but in florida there so many breeder ive found blk/wth tegu for 100 as well and i bought my 4year old red for 150.00 and she is tamed as any tegu can get i also have another red i bought from that same store that wont tame down for crap....but it is a good price i told them i would buy it only if they tame it down they have a lot of good reptile's but there flaw's are nothing is tamed i mean nothing....

Ntyvirus

Swung by the shop today and snagged these pics [attachment=4944][attachment=4945] that last pic happened by accident I'm not stretching him out. I brought up the Florida locality to one of the other guys that work there and although he didn't really listen he did bring up a good point. Have the tegus been loose long enough where the color would change into a new phase of argentine?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346356956.496137.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346356956.496137.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 447
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346356986.644287.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346356986.644287.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 432

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
Ntyvirus said:
Swung by the shop today and snagged these pics that last pic happened by accident I'm not stretching him out. I brought up the Florida locality to one of the other guys that work there and although he didn't really listen he did bring up a good point. Have the tegus been loose long enough where the color would change into a new phase of argentine?

whats upppppppp lolol like i said you tame him down and i'll buy him and if you want to make a lil extra cash you should call me i inbox you my number call me a.s.a.p....you're the only person i would trust with my reptile......and its not a hybrid trust me i check

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can't tell anything from the first pic but the others say B&W. Nothing about them makes me think Colombian cross. We have B&W's with yellow spots and some with orange bellies, that doesn't make it a cross or hybrid just a B&W with yellow spots or an orange belly. Unless there's other wise documented and proven proof from the owner / breeder. Or the animals itself was bred and the offspring showed sings of each.

Whether or not it can be done naturally or other wise has yet to be determined. I think it can but only time will tell.

For all we know it could be going into a shed therefore it's darker or more brown, which some b&w's are anyway. The yellow spots could fade or stay the same. There's another thread on here from Snakes at Sunset or something like that, auctioning of a tegu as a wild caught Colombian B&W hybrid with no proof, sometime last year.

But they also deleted that post off of their facebook page. If all of their info was correct and true that they claimed to have and was working on,.. then why take it down.

I can't remember the members name but someone on here got it. It looks similar to that one but I haven't seen updated pics in a while though.

Dana C

DoctorPepper4 said:
m3s4 said:

yea but in florida there so many breeder ive found blk/wth tegu for 100 as well and i bought my 4year old red for 150.00 and she is tamed as any tegu can get i also have another red i bought from that same store that wont tame down for crap....but it is a good price i told them i would buy it only if they tame it down they have a lot of good reptile's but there flaw's are nothing is tamed i mean nothing....

I am somewhat puzzled. You expect a pet store to tame a reptile?
I always thought that was my job as the owner. Patience, trust building takes time, lots of time. Also tegus come to know their person. I have a male yearling whom to me is a good guy but to a stranger not so much.
You need to read some of the threads on taming to get some sort of idea about the time, techniques and patience it takes to tame a tegu.
If you expect a tegu to be tame when you buy it, you need to buy an adult from an existing owner that has put in the time.
Not to be rude but if you are not willing spend the time you shouldn't own one.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dana C said:
DoctorPepper4 said:
m3s4 said:

I always thought that was my job as the owner. Patience, trust building takes time, lots of time. Also tegus come to know their person. I have a male yearling whom to me is a good guy but to a stranger not so much.
You need to read some of the threads on taming to get some sort of idea about the time, techniques and patience it takes to tame a tegu.
If you expect a tegu to be tame when you buy it, you need to buy an adult from an existing owner that has put in the time.

Couldn't have said it better. Agreed.

larissalurid

TeguBuzz said:
Dana C said:
DoctorPepper4 said:
m3s4 said:

Couldn't have said it better. Agreed.

I agree as well, I've never heard of anyone expecting a pet store to tame a tegu for them o_O

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced