• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Argentine tegu or Savannah monitor?

Herplings

5 Year Member
They are totally different animals. I own both types. I will type up what I have seen to be different here in a bit. I am in the process of a full snake room cleaning.

But, I will post some of my opinions in a bit.

Herplings

5 Year Member
Savvys are cool Monitors. They are really over looked by a lot of people for other Monitor types. They are a nice medium sized Monitor that is nice and think and pretty heavy for its length.
They lack different color types and some of the other cool things people like in other Monitors. A lot of people go for Waters, or Niles, or monitors that have more of the Water look in a small package. Adult Savvys look like a smaller BT Monitors as adults.

But, Savvys are in my opinion one of the best, if not the best beginners Monitor. They are very hardy, will eat anything and while some are a bit pissy as babies, most tame out and are very friendly as adults. They are very smart, inquisitive monitors that seem to learn and remember things very well. They dont get to large, but they get big enough to take out and have some fun with.

Heat and humidity is pretty basic, their diet is very simple. I feed Tuna, rats, mice, chicks, fish, ground meats, eggs of any kind. They are great eaters.

As far as Tegus go, Savvys and Tegus are a lot a like, but when put side by side are very different. They have a lot of the same diets. I have noticed that Tegus like it a little more humid. I keep their temps the same though. Tegus seem to be a little more personable and friendly as adults. But, that really varies animal to animal. Tegus to most people are a little more fun to look at, they come in more colors and sizes. Tegus seem to stress out a little less when around people, but that also varies animal to animal.

I really am not sure what of the two I like more if I would have to pick. I have never been bitten or tail whipped by my Tegus, but have by some of my Savvys. :) But, there is also something really neat about how a Savvy interacts with you once it knows you and trusts you. They are almost like a dog when you come in the room that wants to come out and see what your doing.
I notice my savvys are a lot more active in the day time then my Tegus are. My Savvys seem to be less pick eaters and hungry more often.

All in all it changes from animal to animal, they all have their own personalities. I personally think they are both great picks and I dont think you will be let down either way.

David.

carcharios

5 Year Member
I had a sav when I was younger. It was still small and mean as hell. What really surprise me the most is how strong it was for it's size. That being said, I have to say that my Tegu, Freida, is super sweet. She's grown much less skittish than she was when I initially adopted her and seems to like being pet, etc. On the other hand, my sav would have ripped my finger off. But I have seen some people with savs that are super tame too.

What I REALLY like about tegus is the fact that they hibernate. It makes it so much easier to care for them - especially during the winter months when I'm teaching. Also, I think not seeing them for several months makes me apprecaite them more when they do wake up. They also adjust well to the spring and summer temps here in MD, with the nights in the lower to mid 60's this time of year and the day time highs in the mid to upper 80's (at least this year). On the other hand, savs wouldn't do so well outside here considering they like the more xeric climates from what I've read.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam