• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Awake, now what?

jamesnyborg

Okay fellow tegu owners, I received Jade from Laurafl around mid-September. She was not very active for about 2 weeks and wouldn't eat anything, turns out she went into hibernation. She woke up about 4 days ago, and has refused all food. I have tried ground turkey and beef liver, crickets, "meat pie" that formula for tegus, eggs, ect... I put the food on a paper plate in the middle of the cage. Basically, since I have had her she hasn't ate anything. Do they not eat when they just come out of hibernation? Temps and humidity are fine. Any feeding techniques I should try, or maybe different foods? I'm just a little worried, she's getting a little thin. Any help would be great.

Thanks guys!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What are the temps and humidity? What size enclosure is it in? What substrate are you using? Are you providing UVB, what source?

Diablo

5 Year Member
james.w said:
What are the temps and humidity? What size enclosure is it in? What substrate are you using? Are you providing UVB, what source?

James do you have this somewhere on your desktop so you can just copy and paste it haha?

jamesnyborg

Temps. Basking 110-115, Hot side around 90, Cool side around 75-80. Humidity changes, I mist 4 or 5 times a day. Using 100% cypress mulch, 4 inches. 40 gallon breeder.
Also I cant give her a bath, because I cant even touch her. I just ready by her enclosure with my hand in the tank for now. She whips if I even come close to her, that's why i feed in the enclosure.

Also using a powersun 10uvb

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Diablo - I should have it.

Temps sound good, what is a powersun 10UVB? Leave her alone and continue to offer food. Try roaches and live pinky rats or fuzzy mice.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
It's funny because niles just randomly came out today.he's been hibernating since late oct/early november. I just put the uvb but not heat light on ... not sure if he wants to 'wake up ' or just randomly came out and will go back so... winter's not over yet but maybe the warmer weather triggered it? (Last few days snow melting etc)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

jamesnyborg

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/uvb-fluorescent-lights-mercury-vapor-bulbs/-/zoo-med-160-watt-powersun-uvb-heat-bulbs/
This is what I have.
Thanks for the help. I just gave her a live pinky and superworms with their heads cut off.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Does her tail look think on the sides? Even with the humidity, she may be dehydrated. Try to provide a container large enough for her to soak in by the basking side. Also, try a bit of soft scrambled or half-raw egg with a bit of calcium on it. Egg is usually a pretty good hit. They were also enjoying cherries when I had them. Of course, some liked fruit and some didn't. When my tegus first wake up, they often won't eat for a week or so, and then everything kicks in. I often something small and easy to digest for their first meal.

jamesnyborg

She wanted nothing to do with the live pinky or superworms. Her tail isn't really thin, but I do have a container big enough for.her to soak in. but its on the cool side.

She wants nothing to do with eggs. Ive tried like 10 times

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you are using a 160w bulb in a 40 gallon aquarium, your humidity is non existent and temps are way higher than you think.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
james.w said:
If you are using a 160w bulb in a 40 gallon aquarium, your humidity is non existent and temps are way higher than you think.

Wow! I use the 160w in my 6x3. In a 40gal, you could bake biscuits. Mmm, tegu biscuits (drool).

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
...all the money wasted on those damn easy bake ovens as a child.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

jamesnyborg

I have it on a stand its about a foot and a half from the basking spot. Plus the screen lid is covered to contain humidity, with only an opening big enough for the lamp is left uncovered.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi