• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Axolotls in California

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Is it illegal to own axolotls in California? I had originally heard they were banned, but the most current lists of restricted exotic species that I've seen don't list any salamander taxa under the amphibian section. Anybody know for certain?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They're banned in every aspect, shipping, keeping, breeding, and selling. It's not just Axolotls that are banned from Cali. it's all Ambystoma.

Give the Department of Fish and Game a ring, ask them directly.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's a shame. My 15yo daughter bought one at the Daytona show and just adores that thing. He is really a pretty cool pet.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Called F&D, confirmed the illegality of axolotls. They also told me there is a lot of out-of-date info on the internet and I'm not the first confused person to call with this question. It's a bummer, as my friend had showed interest in them and I was gonna buy her one as a birthday present.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam