• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

B&W Argentine Tegu NOT EATING :(

My new Tegu not eating.

• I'm not sure what this poll box is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's this possible response thing when I post a thread? Lol

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nick Tomlinson

Hi all, I've had my new Tegu 4 days now.
I've tested my Temps and humidity and they're okay.
I've offered turkey, chicken, fussys, salmon, crickets, fruit but nothing....
All he does is hide, when I get him out he's pretty chilled with handling but I have to Bury him out and as he never comes out.

I'm getting really concern as he's looking skinny and I don't want him to have health issues. He drinks a bit of water throughout the day from what I can tell but I'm at work.

What can I do to get him to eat?
Is there a way I can encourage him to come out more by himself?
It's only day 5, am I getting too worried? When should I be concerned?

Thanks all.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Stay calm ...... Give the little Guy time ..... You've changed his bed, home, view, diet, carer and everything else in its life.... Don't you think you'd be timid and hiding till things had settled.

If your worried about eating leave some out before you go to work and I bet the dish is clean once your home.

Nick Tomlinson

Stay calm ...... Give the little Guy time ..... You've changed his bed, home, view, diet, carer and everything else in its life.... Don't you think you'd be timid and hiding till things had settled.

If your worried about eating leave some out before you go to work and I bet the dish is clean once your home.

Thank you for your comment.
It's now been just over a week since I had him.
He ate a small bit of chicken from me Saturday and that's it!
I left salmon out yesterday and today and he's eaten a small bit.
He spends all of his time except for like an hour in the afternoon buried and he still won't eat from me.
Should I be worried?
I'm also scared that if he gets used to just eating in his viv and not seeing me whilst I'm at work he won't grow to trust me or me tame.

Should I be worried? Most tegus I've read have been energetic and ferocious feeders, however mine seems lazy and doesn't eat much at all. I can tell he's lost weight.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I personally wouldn't be worried...... I also wouldn't be trying to feed from myself at this point.... I would be feeding from a dish when its quiet to make sure he eats and not be worried once you've gained trust you build on getting him to eat out your hand if thats what you want ...I do.

At the times hes up sit beside his enclosure talking to him if he doesn't run from the noise, move onto the next step and place your hand in his home not to touch but so he can sense you, once he seems comfortable with that or even investigates you move forward and touch.

These animals have a long life span and are cautious when young.... remember size matters in the wild, you need to build trust.

Mich lady

My tegu is not food aggressive at all! He eats every other day or so. I've had him for almost four months and he is still a bit skittish. It takes time to build trust. And he will only eat quail eggs out of my hand. And he doesn't like me to watch him eat.i sometimes put him in a bath before I feed him. Seems to make him more active and interested in food .

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My tegu is not food aggressive at all! He eats every other day or so. I've had him for almost four months and he is still a bit skittish. It takes time to build trust. And he will only eat quail eggs out of my hand. And he doesn't like me to watch him eat.i sometimes put him in a bath before I feed him. Seems to make him more active and interested in food .
Two thawed mice please, belly-side up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980