• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Babies cages are READY!!!

I finally have all the components for my baby blues coming I don't even know when haha really when the weather permits. But i wanted to be prepared and make sure humidity and heat were optimum I am waiting for the bulbs to warm up, I measured it when there was no substrate or a basking rock and it was about ten degrees low. I also got new bulbs with higher wattage, four inches of substrate, and a basking rock/hide so that should pick up the ten or more. The one is going into a 20 gallon and the other is in a ten. Both tanks held the same heat with nothing in them so I'm hoping they do the same with substrate in there. So here are some pics they are just simple setups with a little vines ( we'll see how long that last ) there are two hides one under the vines in each enclosure and one right under the lamp which doubles as the basking rock which I assume they'll use at night because it will be warmer they both have large water bowls and a food bowl only for treats and they looked cool haha

if you have any questions just ask and I should be able to answer them!

Yeah I know haha this is just for when they are nippy towards one another I'm hoping to cohabitate them but if that doesn't work I do have a cage on back up and the one I'm only keeping for a while for a friend. They are young babies probably a couple of months maybe 3 months old I think they just lost their greenish brown and it's starting to turn colorful.

dx2killa

I have to say if they are a couple months old they are probably def going to be 2 big for those 10 and 20 gallon tanks. I moved onix out of a 20 gallon within a month. They may fit but may have no room whatsoever. Personally I would try to get 30 but atleast a 40 gal for each until you get them even if they are only in there temporarily.

Yeah like I said I have no clue the friend that's getting them told me a ten or 20 gallon he knows how big they are I just saw a couple of pictures but If I need to I can switch them into bigger cages we will see.

Well the temps I was getting from the new bulbs that are about 125 watt bulbs got the basking up to 145!!! So that is a little to hot so I switched back to the other bulbs with a lower wattage and I'll see what those get it to.

If the babies are to big then I'll get them into the bigger cages but he said ten gallon so that's what I have if they are bigger they'll be switched, there is no need to continuously nag me I am well aware.

Matthew Krzemienski

Ok, I'm not nagging just giving you a heads up. My blues outgrew a 40 gallon in about 2 months from hatching. If I were you I wouldnt wait to get a bigger cage. You should just go for it. If you are located close to Houston, I have a 40 gallon setup you could use if you are in a pinch.

Matt

ferociouscorpion

5 Year Member
There you go. I didn't believe it b/c the last time I measured her a couple of weeks ago she was just 24inches.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385932748586.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385932748586.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 37

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
For the record, I have seen many many many 2-3month olds that are 30inches.

Hatchlings shouldnt go in anything smaller than a 40gallon, perfably a 4x2. 10 or a 20gal is much too small, but more important very hard to impossible to create a temp gradient in something so small. To get a basking temp of 115-120 for babies, your going to overheat the small cage. Also the basking surface should not be the top of their hide. It needs to be separate so they can hide without having to be too warm. Personally, I'd start over and not even try putting a tegu in that enclosure but kudos to you for trying and for getting things set up and tested before hand.

They have two hides one on the cool side and the other one is the basking rock I'm going to end up moving them into larger cages because like you said I'm sure there bigger and a bigger cage can't hurt I was mainly just testing out the temperatures.

Lauraj10551

For the record, I have seen many many many 2-3month olds that are 30inches.

Hatchlings shouldnt go in anything smaller than a 40gallon, perfably a 4x2. 10 or a 20gal is much too small, but more important very hard to impossible to create a temp gradient in something so small. To get a basking temp of 115-120 for babies, your going to overheat the small cage. Also the basking surface should not be the top of their hide. It needs to be separate so they can hide without having to be too warm. Personally, I'd start over and not even try putting a tegu in that enclosure but kudos to you for trying and for getting things set up and tested before hand.

I have Sam's big hide also as his basking spot. I put the temp probe in his hide, and it is 80 degrees. Is that too hot?

No that's probably fine and that hide will retain heat at night if he prefers to stay warmer. Also for everyone else I am only keeping the one tegu so I will be moving he/her to a larger cage which is about 2- 1/2 or 3 feet long

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tildaworkneh