• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Baby Blue Not Eating

CRH3012

Hello, I recently purchased a blue tegu from underground reptiles and they claimed he was about 5 months old, and he's around 20 inches long. I'm keeping him in the proper setup etc. 110 degree basking spot, 75-80 ambient, hide boxes and substrate to bury in etc. I've had him for 5 days and I've offered him chicken hearts, gizzards. and ground turkey (all raw) and he's only taken a few small bites of turkey for me over the 5 days I've had him. All he seems to do is bury himself and stay there and doesn't seem to bask. The only time he ever sits under his basking spot is when I unbury him and take him out, and then place him back in his enclosure. He basks for about 30 mins and then buries himself again. Is this normal behavior or should I be worrying? And are there any foods I can try that may get his appetite going that tegus go crazy over? Thanks for any help.

Zyn

Normal behavior while settling in I’d up his basketing spot to 120 and off some small mice.

He’s juvi size may be prepping for brumation

Last edited:

CRH3012

Normal behavior while settling in I’d up his basketing spot to 120 and off some small mice.

He’s juvi size may be prepping for brumation
Should I just allow him to brumate and quit offering food and leave him alone? I left some turkey in his cage before I left for work and he ate about half of it which is more than he normally does. He seems to not like to eat in front of me.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Normal settling in behavior I'd keep offering food in his cage whilst it's quiet and be prepared that he might fully go down for brumation

CRH3012

Normal settling in behavior I'd keep offering food in his cage whilst it's quiet and be prepared that he might fully go down for brumation
Thanks for the advice. Every time I take him out of his cage he basks for 15 mins or so and then goes back to attempting to burrow himself. He’s now made what looks like a mountain of substrate around where he’s buried at. Is this a good sign that I should just leave him be for the winter and start cutting back on his light hours? He never comes out to bask or anything unless I actually unburrow him which I really don’t want to do if it will be best for him to just brumate.

Yogamum

I like to drive my guy crazy a bit. He act exactly the same as yours. He’s also 5 months this week. I am hoping he doesn’t go into brumation. I keep the basking at 120 and drop the heat a bit at night. I got my guys when he was 8 weeks old. I set up a camera on him and realized that he came out of hiding when I was not home. He loves when I wear him in my clothes. He will sit all day wrapped under a tight sweater. When I put him back into his tank he always go straight for his light. You can try super worms or things that move like crickets. I also try to keep the routine the same every day. My guys know that between 6-8pm he gets a bath every night and food. That’s when I get home. I pull him out every night. I think he gave up hiding because he knows I am coming looking for him. He also like hiding under my bed sheets :) super fun per !!!! Good luck !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744