• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

merakjinsei

Hi all, I would really like to acclimate my blue tegu to the outside world and take him on walks where he can explore, but still be comfortable. I have looked a lot at different pet bag options, trying to find one that would offer enough room for the tail, have enough ventilation, and be visible through so he can look around.

One I was looking at was the Jackson Galaxy cat backpack, since it has a fairly wide base (11.5 x 17), and the bubble is fairly low, so with a towel for support and burrowing he can look around as he pleases, but hide for a while if he wants.

What do you all think about this? Would it work for a juvenile size, but not a fully grown blue? Have you ever taken your tegu on outings not in a more locked away bin or backpack, but one the tegu can look out through? What should I be cautious about?

Thanks!

Attachments

• bag.PNG
    bag.PNG
    3.7 MB · Views: 15
  • bag2.PNG
    bag2.PNG
    674.8 KB · Views: 12

LizardStudent

I would worry about getting this because of the tail mainly. It could work for a small tegu, but my blue female is less than nine months old and is approaching three feet in length... and I know she would be uncomfortable in this with her big tail. You could buy it for a little one but its likely that they would outgrow it almost immediately and then you'd have no use for it.

Some keepers will take their tegus out on a leash with a harness, but the thing about walking a tegu is you can't really have a destination in mind - they're only gonna go where they want to, and usually not too quickly at that. I always had the idea that for an older lazy tegu, you could maybe modify a baby carrying harness you wear on your chest and set them in it and walk around with them in it, if you made a big tail hole. Realistically though, I think this would only work for tegus with very specific personalities and a lot would just try to get out of it

Scriffignano

Mine is small enough to just chill in the hood of my sweater with a little harness on her. Later i plan on getting a rolling cart or a stroller to carry her if needed, but my girl will probably only take occasional visits to petco or the vet.

merakjinsei

Hrm, interesting! thank you so much for your feedback! I'll try and make a medium pet bag for when they're really young and small, but then figure something out when they are bigger.
Since I live in a city center, there arent good places to walk tegus right by my and the streets arent super safe, but I would love to take him on a bike or bus to a nearby park. When you have to take an adult tegu somewhere, what is best to bring them in? I have mostly seen large plastic bins for longer term travel, but what would be better for a bike or public transit, especially something that doesnt require both hands at all times

LizardStudent

Perhaps you could modify a duffel bag with some mesh siding for breathability? Maybe something like that. I would test anything you're gonna do first though, when I first put my girl in a plastic bin she freaked out because she didn't like feeling walled in with no view out - same when she was in the bath tub

merakjinsei

Good idea; My thought so far was to use clear vinyl on the top/front so the tegu can look around, and have mesh on the sides as well as a strip of it along the bottom of the vinyl, so there is clear views on the front and top, somewhat clear views from the sides through the mesh, air flow through from one side to the other, and the band along the bottom just in case.
I would either modify a duffel bag or sew my own (as I am decent at that).

Julieonna

Hi all, I would really like to acclimate my blue tegu to the outside world and take him on walks where he can explore, but still be comfortable. I have looked a lot at different pet bag options, trying to find one that would offer enough room for the tail, have enough ventilation, and be visible through so he can look around.

One I was looking at was the Jackson Galaxy cat backpack, since it has a fairly wide base (11.5 x 17), and the bubble is fairly low, so with a towel for support and burrowing he can look around as he pleases, but hide for a while if he wants.

What do you all think about this? Would it work for a juvenile size, but not a fully grown blue? Have you ever taken your tegu on outings not in a more locked away bin or backpack, but one the tegu can look out through? What should I be cautious about?

Thanks!
I take my Tegu out quite a bit...before the pandemic. I find he does not like to look out. I put him in a med size. Soft side (canvas)dog carrier with the flaps closed. He curls up in there and chills. When I walk him, being in the wide open makes him nervous and he trys to head for shelter. Just be aware of the things that make him nervous and adjust your outdoor time to that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam