• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

RomanPort

Howdy!

Recently, I've been working on a design for a custom Tegu enclosure in CAD software. My plan for the door is to have two sliding acrylic windows. The windows also serve as a door by sliding them open. Very similar design to your household windows, but rotated, if that helps.

I'm not entirely sure how I should implement this. I'd imagine it to be some kind of rail, but I don't know what kind of rail I should really be searching for. Wouldn't substrate entering the rail cause issues? What about the force of a big lizard against it? How would I lock something like that?

K6FAOGS.png

Here's what the enclosure currently looks like, without a top or the wall in question. It's not an adult enclosure, at least that's not the plan right now. The rail area is 65 inches long. The door will be sitting above the substrate "basement".

Thanks! Any criticism, links, and suggestions would be appreciated immensely.

Ivyna J Spyder

5 Year Member

RomanPort

I've always used the basic plastic ones from Rockler like this

https://www.rockler.com/4-foot-plastic-sliding-door-track?sid=V9146?

You could also do aluminum

https://www.rockler.com/e-z-glide-tracks-aluminum?sid=V9197&promo=shopping

Substrate getting in the rail can cause issues, but nothing a brush or vacuum hose can't fix. :)

You'd want to include a lock of some kind so the tegu can't get a grip on the side and push it open.

Thank you! That is incredibly helpful. I'll definitely keep those aluminum ones in mind. Can I ask how you're locking yours? It's not immediately clear to me how, sorry, haha.

Thank you so much. :)

Slowsociopath

My experience with sliders was they lasted less than 48 hours but to be fair our tegu hated to be caged,he would sleep in the cage as long as the doors were off.If you can convince them that the doors are ok it might work. mine recently died at 12 years old but was free range for 11 of those years

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My experience with sliders was they lasted less than 48 hours but to be fair our tegu hated to be caged,he would sleep in the cage as long as the doors were off.If you can convince them that the doors are ok it might work. mine recently died at 12 years old but was free range for 11 of those years
Sounds like it was a good life for your tegu.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny