• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Ball python heating question

Dirkthejerk41

Okay so lately both of my ball pythons have been spending a lot of time on the cool side of their tanks.... I am thinking their under tank pads are not giving off enough heat (I had some paper towels above the pads as well as substrate), though I'm not sure. I put the newspaper over the substrate because the glass is very hot to the touch. I just now tried putting just a thin layer of newspaper over the pad rather than thick paper towels, so we will see how it goes. Should I remove the substrate from this part of their thank? Any thoughts?

tjohnson722

If they are spending time on cool side then its too hot. Do you have the uth on a thermostat? If not get one for them asap. (Made that mistake) they get hot hot. Also I recommend either a digital thermostat with hygrometer (Walmart 10.00 in outdoor thermometer aisle) or a temp gun. Check your temps.

Those uth got so hot. I had a faulty one that got so hot it killed the snake. Horrid mistake on my part.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Dirkthejerk41

I actually just ordered a digital temp gun. well I adjusted some things, now it feels warm to the touch, not hot though. If its not hot to touch it should be fine?

I mean, with the substrate over the newspaper, I could not even feel any heat.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I second the idea of a digital/infrared temp gun. And if there is any doubt about the uth, I would remove it and get another.

tjohnson722

I never rely on touch for temperature. Get a thermostat. I use 25.00 ones from amazon. Snakes are living breathing things I will never take that chance again.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
UTHs‘ are fine to use as long as it‘s on a thermostat. A thermostat is not the same as a thermometer w/out a probe. Just thought I‘d mention that last bit because someone on another forum thought so. Without a thermostat uth temps spike consistently.

Just because it‘s warm to the touch now doesn‘t mean it will be 5 mins or an hour later. A temp gun only works when you‘re there to check temps, what about when you‘re not? Which will be most of the time. With or without substrate over the pad doesn‘t matter since they sometimes move it to get closer to the heat. Without a thermostat its just a matter of time before your bp gets burned.

You can cut corners on just about everything but a cheap thermostat shouldn‘t be one of them. Especially if you plan on expanding your collection and or breeding.

Dirkthejerk41

Okay, we are getting one this week. So once I get one, should I just keep it at their specified temperature and not have anything over the newspaper that is on top of the heating pad?

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
With a thermostat you can set it to what ever temp is necessary to get proper temps on the inside with a probe. Probe placement varies (like most things) from one person or set up to the next. With a glass enclosure I would place the probe on the inside above the mat. Depending on what you use over it substrate, paper towels or what ever the surface temp will vary. Then the temp gun can be used as a back up to make sure its within range and both the uth and thermostat are working properly.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
tjohnson722 said:
If they are spending time on cool side then its too hot. Do you have the uth on a thermostat? If not get one for them asap. (Made that mistake) they get hot hot. Also I recommend either a digital thermostat with hygrometer (Walmart 10.00 in outdoor thermometer aisle) or a temp gun. Check your temps.

Those uth got so hot. I had a faulty one that got so hot it killed the snake. Horrid mistake on my part.

I had one short out and kill my geckoes. It was a zoo med. the cobra ones are better, but I will never use one again.

tjohnson722

I use halogens, and chicken coop infrared bulbs for the large cages I have and the 4x2x2 3 tiered vision cages I have flexwatt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602