• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Beautiful blue boy *update*

AnimalNerd

Hi tegutalk. I've been a long time lurker to find out about a blue tegu that I've been a sitter for and involved with since he was a hatchling. Sadly his owner passed away and I am the next closest human the tegu knows/trusts and am most likely going to adopt him. He is almost 2 years old and his owner and I concluded he is currently going through 'guberty' so I'm sure I'll be posting with questions on some of his newer behaviors with me.
20210625_153042.jpg

Last edited:

AnimalNerd

Welcome - sorry for the loss of your friend. What a beautiful animal!! Good thing guberty is temporary huh? lol
Thankfully yeah! His Dad did a wonderful job socializing him so the 180 is a bit alarming. In the meantime I'll just keep him healthy and happy as I can and watch my toes and fingers. He has a penchant for going after my feet for the socks.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
That's hilarious. Mine has looked at my toes, and thought about a little nip, but so far - realizes that it would be futile. Btw - any Tegu that is re-homed for any reason starts acting up right away. They really don't like it, until they get over themselves. You'll get him back - at least he actually knows you. Kinda sad.

AnimalNerd

That's hilarious. Mine has looked at my toes, and thought about a little nip, but so far - realizes that it would be futile. Btw - any Tegu that is re-homed for any reason starts acting up right away. They really don't like it, until they get over themselves. You'll get him back - at least he actually knows you. Kinda sad.
It's been a tragic and unexpected situation. Fortunately without getting to specific for now he actually gets to stay in his dad's house and with his original enclosure etc.and I come out to feed him and spend time with him every other day. So at the very least he is not dealing with a sudden change in environment. He definitely went looking for his Dad when we first few times we let him out and it was really sad.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Awww - it's amazing and surprising the bond they develop. I've had cats with less connection! I hope you get to just move him to your place with the enclosure he's in. He'll need good care, because that's what he's used to.

AnimalNerd

Awww - it's amazing and surprising the bond they develop. I've had cats with less connection! I hope you get to just move him to your place with the enclosure he's in. He'll need good care, because that's what he's used to.
I plan on ultimately moving him in with me and with the original enclosure yes. It's bioactive and big. I'm hoping I can give him good care. The timing for his guberty isn't great because I want to ensure the acting out is hormonal vs health related XC

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Not known for flashing....lol, but there's a lot of info about prolapse. In general, baths, and gently tucking the problem back where it belongs works. In my experience, you don't want to leave the tissue outside the body long where it can dry out or become infected. Also - it's fairly common, so just monitor it and keep those baths up.

AnimalNerd

Not known for flashing....lol, but there's a lot of info about prolapse. In general, baths, and gently tucking the problem back where it belongs works. In my experience, you don't want to leave the tissue outside the body long where it can dry out or become infected. Also - it's fairly common, so just monitor it and keep those baths up.
It retracted immediately without me touching it or even getting to look at it closely after he latched on and attempted to mate with my glove/the couch. So I'm leaning towards it being his penis (ew) but I just want to be sure

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Chances are - you've had your first encounter. I mean, they're graced with 2 of them. And I should have said.....it commonly retracts on it's own... sorry about that. Also commonly though, it's just tissue that can be easily tucked.

AnimalNerd

Chances are - you've had your first encounter. I mean, they're graced with 2 of them. And I should have said.....it commonly retracts on it's own... sorry about that. Also commonly though, it's just tissue that can be easily tucked.
I think you're right lol. The fact it retracted immediately indicated it was his peen but since he's been constipated lately (as of today changed up his diet to address this) I wanted to make sure it wasn't something else. Thank you for the replies and encouragement. I'm sure I'll have a lot of 'firsts' with this guy. I'm a bit OCD about animal health/care and since I'm not familiar with some normal reptile habits and anatomy I get nervous (birds and mammals tho? I know all about it)

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
That's why you'll be so good!! Having that constant sensitivity to them is good. I've told this story so many times, but ....well one more won't hurt.... My male nearly died from an impaction with his urates. He became so constipated that he stopped eating, and bath after bath did nothing. He eventually stopped drinking and decided it was over. He strained and strained for awhile until he started getting weaker and his tongue turned grey. No pink at all. His eyes lost their vibrancy. I was doing my best dance, but I knew nothing was working - so I went in (ew) - and it wasn't as bad as it sounds. I pulled out the obstruction and went in to his vent 2 more times over about 3 days, clearing anything I could get my hands on. There is a good size cavern once you're in, and you can feel the walls - the obstruction was at the very back, I assume where the waste products enter. That's where the clog was, and I almost couldn't reach it. They were like stones and obviously impacted.

We have been best pals ever since. I know that he knows what I did. He knew he was going and that I stopped it. I think the reason I wasn't afraid to do it is because I've had some experience in school (long time ago) with biology and zoology. (I know it's not for everyone) Prior to that experience, he hated my a**. He was aggressive all the time and was unpredictable. After that, and it took about 3 weeks for him to rally, there was zero aggression. I spoon fed him his water and forced it into his mouth, etc. At one point, he drank from a water bottle I was dripping down his nose. He acted like he couldn't get enough. He started back eating within about 2-3 days, if I remember right. That was 2 years. ago. He's 4 now. Our bond is undeniable now - he is secure with me and that's what's important to them.

Sorry - long story. I told this once to someone else, and never heard from them again! Lol

AnimalNerd

That's why you'll be so good!! Having that constant sensitivity to them is good. I've told this story so many times, but ....well one more won't hurt.... My male nearly died from an impaction with his urates. He became so constipated that he stopped eating, and bath after bath did nothing. He eventually stopped drinking and decided it was over. He strained and strained for awhile until he started getting weaker and his tongue turned grey. No pink at all. His eyes lost their vibrancy. I was doing my best dance, but I knew nothing was working - so I went in (ew) - and it wasn't as bad as it sounds. I pulled out the obstruction and went in to his vent 2 more times over about 3 days, clearing anything I could get my hands on. There is a good size cavern once you're in, and you can feel the walls - the obstruction was at the very back, I assume where the waste products enter. That's where the clog was, and I almost couldn't reach it. They were like stones and obviously impacted.

We have been best pals ever since. I know that he knows what I did. He knew he was going and that I stopped it. I think the reason I wasn't afraid to do it is because I've had some experience in school (long time ago) with biology and zoology. (I know it's not for everyone) Prior to that experience, he hated my a**. He was aggressive all the time and was unpredictable. After that, and it took about 3 weeks for him to rally, there was zero aggression. I spoon fed him his water and forced it into his mouth, etc. At one point, he drank from a water bottle I was dripping down his nose. He acted like he couldn't get enough. He started back eating within about 2-3 days, if I remember right. That was 2 years. ago. He's 4 now. Our bond is undeniable now - he is secure with me and that's what's important to them.

Sorry - long story. I told this once to someone else, and never heard from them again! Lol
Oh wow, that's an incredible story, thank you for sharing! And I'm so glad you had the confidence and knowledge to do that for him (in the same situation I would be so scared to hurt him I think). It's so cool he seemed to sense what you did for him too, most animals treat it as something traumatizing. I'm actually going back to school for a biology degree and have already had the basic biology and zoology courses lol. It's a good thing you had some background knowledge and the dedication to nurse him back to health. I think way too many pet owners would give up. In my case I'm definitely still learning to read his little micro expressions, not just as a bonding thing but also as health indicators He is still eating, drinking, full of (very horny) energy, and pooping albeit he strains and the result is small and dry. Hopefully his diet change (starting with fish oil, smuggling blueberries, and pumpkin puree mixed with salmon and ground turkey. If I don't see improvement ill escalate to mineral oil and more soaks) will be the end of it. If not there is a great exotics vet here and I have a bit in savings I'd already set aside for getting my own pet (I was going to get a beardie or considering a parakeet) just wasn't thinking it would be this guy haha.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
That's hilarious! The good thing is that you'll have an unexpected connection. Hang in there with it - I just knew (without an Exotic Vet in my area) that his situation was looking very dire. We kinda had nothing to lose. I still wonder why my Tegu had such a severe case to the point of almost taking him out. I've never heard anyone really have anything more than speculation about it. I had some GREAT members here though that really helped me through that whole time.

Good luck with your buddy - I hope he adjusts more sooner...than later!

AnimalNerd

Writing an update to this- I'm a bit nervous and watching him like a hawk but it's a happy update! My boy has finally been moved in with me! He has been roaming on and off all day and very active/curious and possibly excited by his new surroundings. As I write this he is snoozing under some blankets in his new favorite spot in the living room. If I try to get him to go in his hide he fusses. He got a clean bill of health and a 'kudos' from his vet but naturally I'm anxious about making sure the stress of the move/new place doesn't mess with him too much! His enclosure got some updates with more to come. Namely a 'dropped' ceiling so all lights are safely out of his reach, I can evenly spread out his 4 24" uvb bulbs on a dimmer system, and the misting system gets better coverage safely away from bulbs. Sadly the little isopods and spring tails in his bio active soil didn't make the journey haha.
IMG_20211114_125836.jpg
IMG_20211114_111247.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam