• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Best substrate?

Leonor

Hello!
I am having hard time finding the coconut fiber substrate I used last time for my handsome guy... I bought it at a reptile show in Des Moines, Iowa. So, what are your favorite types for your tegus? I normally clean his enclosure from top to bottom before hibernation, and change the whole substrate... and he is getting ready to go dormant... Thanks for your input!!

Attachments

• First time!.jpg
    First time!.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 11

rantology

Equal parts cypress mulch, peat moss, and top soil makes a good combination for me. All 3 are cheaply bought at hardware stores (make sure no chemicals or dyes). I do bioactive so I do not change it out though... because of that I also added horticultural charcoal, coco fiber and a long fibered sphagnum moss (and leaf litter)

Leonor

Equal parts cypress mulch, peat moss, and top soil makes a good combination for me. All 3 are cheaply bought at hardware stores (make sure no chemicals or dyes). I do bioactive so I do not change it out though... because of that I also added horticultural charcoal, coco fiber and a long fibered sphagnum moss (and leaf litter)
Tnaks so much for your response! How do you do bioactive?

rantology

Tnaks so much for your response! How do you do bioactive?
I don't change the substrate and instead rely on all my critters to keep it clean. I do spot clean those big ol tegu poops but everything else (bits of food he drops or bits of waste that I miss) goes to the microfauna. Have a few places for them to hide (like small bits of cork bark and plants and leaf litter) and just add them to the enclosure! I do small roaches, isopods, springtails, millipedes and nightcrawlers. I intentionally leave whatever Darrow doesn't eat in there for them (they end up making it into great compost/fertilizer for the plants)... They are doin' pretty well!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam