• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Best way to get an accurate temperature read?

N.B.H.

Hi! I've been fumbling with setups for my red, and I've been trying to bump the temperature up over 100 degrees for some time now with a lamp of the proper wattage. Well I bought one, but my thermometer still read 94°f.

That was when I figured. Maybe it's not actually my setup, but my thermometer instead, so I grabbed the thermometer gun I got in what was basically a grab bag that I've never really used, and it clocked the temperature as 106-109°f.

So, well. All that really told me is one of my thermometers is wrong, and I'm not entirely sure which one.

tl;dr: I would really love an accurate thermometer. Does anyone have any recommendations for tank thermometers, or any advice on how to check which of my thermometers is more accurate?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
NBH your thermometer will be measuring air temp and your gun will be measuring surface temp........ And on that basis I say your hot end / basking area is a good temp, you just need to make sure it tapers off down at the cool end....:D

Merlot

Put some black electrical tape down under the basking sight and let it sit for a bit and then measure it with a temp gun. Those temp guns are a bit finicky. The emission settings are usually at 95 for non adjustable units and I learned that tip from someone else and when I tried I got the reading I was looking for that I was sure I was producing with the lights but had to ensure it was that

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam