• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Black Vs White Throat

VenomVipe

5 Year Member
Has anyone had both? If so, which gave you the best experience. I"m planning to get some kind of monitor and think its gonna be an albig, Mangrove, Timor, Sav, or possibly a water monitor. But they eat considerably more than the above above right? Yes, I know I should pick the right monitor for me and Ive been researching and all of these are good except for maybe the water. I would like to get all the opinions I can get so I can get a good idea. I mean, no researching is going to tell you the majority's opinion right. And eventually im going to need to know the differences between Black and white throats and i researched but couldnt find the answer except for the fact they have different names. Could someone clear this up for me? Comparison pics and any random monitor pics are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bentley83

5 Year Member
I had 2 black throat monitors and they were awesoem lizards they get big up to 5 to 6 feet like the white throats. They are both big lizards and I miss my black throats. I almost bought a white throat but they were expensive so I didnt buy one, instead I went with black throats. I have owned numerous varanids.

Chris

Beazer

5 Year Member
Well, White throats have white throats and black throats have black throats. The cape banded white throats are awesome. To be honest, I dont know a whole lot about white throat monitors other than their care.

If you want an awesome monitor for display, get timors. They are awesome little hunters, cheaper to feed (be sure to have a few colonies of different roach species), and you can house a trio in a 6ftx3ftx3-4ft cage and they will climb, hunt, burrow, swim, watch you, etc. Though, they are very cautious of humans. But still, they are one of my more favorite of monitors.

-Jon DeLong

argus333

5 Year Member
to me white throats are slightly calmer and eaiser to work with but dont get me wrong both can be formable. but id go with the water monitor over all other monitors hands down one of the best lizards u can keep the rewards are endless i used to bring mine up to the beach for a swim on his harness. but be warned u need room sized cages for any of these guys i had my water in a spare room that was 12ft x 14 ft.
115_1514.jpg

BSM

5 Year Member
I had a 5.5ft female black throat and she was an ok monitor but the only problem was really giving them a big enough cage to live in. I had her in a 12x6x6 but that was too small for her IMO .
In choosing a monitor the main concern is what is the biggest cage you can provide for it and can you spend a couple hundred on feeding/electric bill. Another thing is what to you want from the monitor, (to breed, a pet, or something to look at).
Heres some pics of my argus monitors, there not for holding but will keep you entertained and there full of spunk and energy
P5280256.jpg

P2080125-1.jpg

PC280002.jpg

P4090186.jpg

P3220168.jpg

The best bet is to look for a breeder of an animal you are interested in to get a nice healthy animal but the only problem with that is there are not really that many breeders and most animals for sale are wc.

Bryan

VenomVipe

5 Year Member
Thanks i think im gonna stick with the b/t, sav, or timors. I have narrowed down a bit more. I also thought about a mangrove but i heard they are not handleable at all.

akward_silence91

5 Year Member
biggest difference between black and white throat: black throats get real big while white throats tend to stay smaller. and just to let you know, they eat A LOT! make sure you are prepared to spend that much on either monitor.

skippy

5 Year Member
my BT was almost 6 feet long and around 49 lbs. he was puppy dog tame and ate from my hand every day. he had a thing for snails and fresh fish but would eat almost anything i handed him(except me)

only issue i had was, again, enclosure size. he needed to be out of his cage almost every day or else he would get antsy and start working on a way out of his very own.

have you considered a dumerils? they're not nearly as massive and they're supposed to be pretty chill.

dicy

5 Year Member
timors can be handled but tame maby sum but most dont like beeing handled if u want sumthing small i whould go for ackys gilleni glauerti these 3 usualy dont care about beeing handled and a bite ore scratch isnt a problem plus they r highly acktive so lots of fun to watch whereas timors tend to hide allot specialy the first year you have them big monitors i never had do to the lack of space but the dwarfs i have and i had where lots of fun

skippy

5 Year Member
not that expensive- <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=53&de=668066" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=53&de=668066</a><!-- m -->

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602