• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Blaptica Dubia: The Cricket Alternative

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is a brief and very basic How To video on setting up a Blaptica Dubia(Guyana Orange Spotted Roach)Colony. I was really bored and made this lol. If I forgot anything or you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message. In my opinion, everybody should switch to roaches as feeders for your herps!!! Unless you really need super small pinheads or something. Enjoy the video. Comments are welcome!!!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7256982951932147440&hl=en">http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7440&hl=en</a><!-- m -->

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Puffers.. that video is awesome. Its really good..one of the better Roach videos i have seen! Thanks to you im gonna get roaches now. Fomr your video everything seems really easy and intresting.. You know so much about them which is good. thanks for the post on that!

Tux

5 Year Member
Dubia and Discoids are both great feeders, neither require much care. Just remember variety in your feeding routine is the key to a proper diet.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
if i dont have room for a bin that big would that work with like a 10 or 20 gallon bin and 100 roaches to start a colony?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
boygenius said:
What kind of heat source are you using in that video?

I'm using 2 heating pads that I grabbed from my local Walgreens. Any pharmacy store or Wal-Mart type store should have them. Make sure you get a model without the 2 hour auto shut off.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
We dont have them roaches here. Even the crickets scare my neighbours..

really cool video though. i might track some down on a reptile show.

boygenius

5 Year Member
ZEKE said:
if i dont have room for a bin that big would that work with like a 10 or 20 gallon bin and 100 roaches to start a colony?

This question was not addressed to me but smaller gallon bins would also work. As you get your colonies much bigger you can always get a bigger container as well.

Roaches like cramped spaces anyway, this will encourage them to breed.

Hope this helps.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
thanks boygenius.

i sent my mom that video because she was saying she doesnt want roaches and she said that the vid was yucky.

she said the main reason we are not getting roaches is that if they got loose in our house they would ruin our house and we would haveto get an exterminator.

it sucks because i hate crickets and i would much rather feed out beardie and toad roaches than crix.

AB^

5 Year Member
The only things I dont like about Dubia as feeders is their burrowing and the fact that they have a tendency to freeze thus not being seen by animals that use sight to capture their prey vs species who use more scent.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
AB^ said:
The only things I dont like about Dubia as feeders is their burrowing and the fact that they have a tendency to freeze thus not being seen by animals that use sight to capture their prey vs species who use more scent.

Yeah both these points are true. To solve the burrowing problem just feed in a separate tank/cage with no substrate!!! With the freezing they sometimes hit a corner/wall of the enclosure and will freeze. A good poke will have them off running again.

Zeke, SOrry Broski I would have gotten back to you but I left for the mountains over the weekend. 10-20 is fine and tell your mom they don't infest!!!! If you raise crickets I can guarantee you more then "some" pinheads will get out.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I myself raise Discoids. I got mine from Sammy. I really like using them as feeders. They are very interesting to me. I enjoy raising them as much as I do the reptiles that eat them. My young Black Throat Monitors love them.

cfcsean

5 Year Member
Just wondering, How will Dubia do outside in Florida? I want to start a colony but on the porch rather than inside.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam