• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Blood Python Bad Nostril Shed

Nyarlathotep

5 Year Member
Makeda, my sumatran blood python has never had real shedding problems. Humidity (and airflow) is maintained with an room ultrasonic mister hooked up to a hose. The only issue she's ever had is "nose-whistle" right before her nostrils shed.

In the middle of a shedding cycle, I come home late to see a bone-dry enclosure with her sitting in a puddle, completely blocking the air/mist intake. (didn't see that one coming). I pick her up, no air exits her nostrils, instead air is getting forced from the sides of her mouth. (sounds like a kazoo)

No signs of respiratory infection, perfect shed two days later, except her nasal passages are still blocked. Fine tweezers - no dice. I take her to my vet for a "second opinion" to make sure I didn't miss anything. We spent the better part of an hour carefully digging into her nose and flushing with saline with little success.

Right now, we've got her on a regimen of flushing with saline every other day and taking her back in if things don't improve.

Anyone else have a problem like this? Any suggestions? Otherwise the next step is probably knocking her out and using a catheter.

COWHER

5 Year Member
jeeeeez dude ya got me stumped???????? i hope you get it fixed and all is well. :cry: keep us updated and good luck

Nyarlathotep

5 Year Member
Thanks for the support. ;)

She's a sweet one too (with me). Knows my scent, but she's a psycho-chainsaw-snake with most anyone else (almost safe around the wife), so trips to the vet stress her out more than I'm comfortable with (not to mention the assistants).

The most annoying part is every time she "squeeks", I instinctively think "Oh crap, RI, get the baytril out", but neither I nor my vet could find anything wrong but a clogged nose.

Anyone hear of a localized "sinus" infection in reptiles (snakes or otherwise)?

Nyarlathotep

5 Year Member
Problem solved (by a combination of stupid methods).
(DISCLAIMER: stupid last ditch solution to a bizarre problem. Do not repeat)

Kept her mouth wedged open (to prevent water from entering her lungs). I placed a vasoline-tipped syringe filled with water over her nostril, pressed down (forming a seal) and squeezed hard. A small amount of grime and skin (from the shed) shot into her mouth. Two angry bites and three gurgles later, and she was breathing through her nose again.

dorton

5 Year Member
Awesome! Sounds like it was one of those "Just so crazy it just may work" deals.

I'm glad it went ok.
Thanks for the update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602