• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Blue tegus...Are they more skittish?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
For those who have worked with multiple tegus, have you found the blues to be more high strung than the reds or b/w?

Jackie & Hellboy

I don't have any blues, my B&W male is the boldest reptile ever and my red male is unsure of me still after 3-4 years it is still confident enough to eat and stuff around me but when I stand up and walk past him he postures up to my feet. They're both middle aged adults now but when young my red was more likely to flee the sight of me than the B&w. Maybe someone can input with blues since that is what you asked originally, I'd also like to know

Rebecca Stout

I've always heard "talk" (and thats all it is, rumor) that blues are a little different. I don't know if skittish is the word or not. I've heard they are a bit energetic. I notice that with pictures and yt videos, you never, ever see a full blooded blue cuddling wtih someone and really chilling. It might be because not many people have them. So, I'd be curious to hear from people directly about this too.

KSTAR

5 Year Member
Hey lauraFL it's been a while since I been on haha nice to see you still on hope all is well....and as far as blue tegus being skittish that's something I really can't agree with....All 4 of my blue tegus that were pure blooded were great! I had no problems with them and keep in mind you'll just go about a baby blue you would any other baby tegu....the only difference between blues to argentines black and whites and reds is that they don't go under....they don't hibernate but they do slow down in the winter as far as eating and how active they are....if you look at old posts you'll see my blues posted here and there and still they're all great and doing awesome and never had any problems and I've also had colombian black and whites and again awesome but you also have to do your part to as far as husbandry and handling and they'll turn out beautiful

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've heard both yes and no on this but there seems to be more experienced folks saying that no they are not more skittish. I haven't owned a blue myself so I can't say for certain.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
In the 3 blues that Ive worked with, I would say yes. I have found they that are MUCH more active, and therefor flighty.. More so than b/ws or reds but not as much as colombians.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sorry been in hibernation mode. I have had a few blues and a few black and whites and I haven't seen any difference. My blue male is very cuddly, in fact when its cold out he will get out of his cage and cuddle in bad with me and the dogs.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
I've had two blues and a variety of black and whites over the years and while one of my blues was super calm my male was insanely active and extremely fast. He was calm for handling after 1.5 years of steady trust building but his feeding response was unreal and he was never quite the same as my black and whites. I actually enjoyed him much more as his constant movement and activity was very interesting to observe.

Rud3dog

Wow! All new to me. I am sure glad some one has brought this to my attention. Every single B&W, Red but no blues, have been the most docile of all reptiles. Thank you all for sharing! I love this forum! If I was worried(Luararfl), maybe just stick with the ones you know. I am after reading this.

Sorry been in hibernation mode. I have had a few blues and a few black and whites and I haven't seen any difference. My blue male is very cuddly, in fact when its cold out he will get out of his cage and cuddle in bad with me and the dogs.
My blue does the same thing...and is very sweet and cuddly! It is my fire belly that is aloof.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This makes me wonder about something. You buy a specific breed of dog with predictability in certain behavioral traits. You get a mutt, and you won't be certain if, apart from being nice, will it hunt, trail, guard, etc. Well, when you hybridize, I'm thinking particularly with reds as another species, I wonder the extent to which docility is compromised but sounds to me as though reds are generally docile?? I could easily have received bad info that they are not as docile as Argies are.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602