• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Bobby...question about reds

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bobby, I have a question about reds in general, and yours in particular. I've noticed that some reds have a black and red banded tail near the end, but mine has a tail that is red/dk red at the top and "was" red and white at the tip. Just curious, but what does that say about coloration in general? Anything? Some of these coloration differences were in your red tegus, which is why I asked you specifically. :)

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Laura, I have never seen an adult red with black bands on the tail, most red tegus have red tails or sometimes light red and dark red bands.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
These are photos, and tegus of various ages. Maybe it's the photography and the way it shows up on-line.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh wow, you want me to take a picture, then upload somehwere and post it here? Hmm...it may take a while, but OK.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
These are photos, and tegus of various ages. Maybe it's the photography and the way it shows up on-line.

laurarfl said:
Oh wow, you want me to take a picture, then upload somehwere and post it here? Hmm...it may take a while, but OK.
?????

I thought your previous post was supposed to include "photos of tegus of various ages"? Or are you looking for pics? I'm confused.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
no, no, no...I said I've noticed a lot of reds seem to have black/red tails. Then I said they are pics, maybe it's the photography and the way it shows up on-line that makes it look red/black vs red/dk red. Is that clear as mud? :)

However, I do have a nice pic of my Varnyard red, Rexie, somewhere in a camera I can't find. I think my youngest dd took it to a sleepover last night.

I'll see if I can't find an on-line pic of what I'm talking about.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2443">http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2443</a><!-- m -->
OK, on this thread, see the female, Quetzal, first pic? She has a tail tip that is red/white.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1628533,1628533">http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1628533,1628533</a><!-- m -->
This is just one example where I was seeing red/black, but this one doesn't show the tail tip.

Here's one Bobby sent when I was buying my red tegu, Rexie. This is just his tail, before he dropped the pretty little end...sniff.
DSCN4353.jpg
[/img]

His tail is really red, and light in color. There's no way it would look black and red.

So, I guess the detailed version of my question is, what does the tail color say about the coloration of reds in general? Can it be used as an indicator of overall redness? I happen to think my guy is pretty red compared to some others I've seen out there. I had someone over yesterday who saw him basking and his reaction was, "Whoa, I didn't know they came in red." The red just really stands out.

So now that I'm posting pics, I'll have to get an avatar and post pics of my crew and everything...sigh. just kidding, LOL!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok Laura, I see what you are saying, but you are comparing a baby with sub-adults and adults. I have seen plenty of babies with black bands but they fade with age. I hope this helps you understand.

Sometimes females will have a darker banding then males:
Breedingreds2.jpg

Breedingreds5.jpg

However, males are usually red tailed, or two tone red on the tails:
DSCN72461.jpg

DSCN72521.jpg

Here you can see the black banding changing to red:
Yearlingredfemale.jpg

A lot of the black colors your tegu shows now will become darker and more red with time:
DSCN4346.jpg

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Well, I'll try to answer your question to the best of my ability since that Tegu belongs to me. His name is Clifford and he came to me as a rescue almost 3 years ago. He was a large adult at that time so I estimate his age at at least 6 years. He could be much older than that.

30216cliff_toad_shot.jpg

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That male belongs to Jane, he was a rescue, but he is prob about 5-6 years old.

bubbategu2

5 Year Member
Oh Sorry, guys! I don't know what anybody looks like! That male is awesome looking (I'm talking about the Tegu! LOL!) He looks a lot like my guy with the big jowls except my Bubba has a belly, too. And he is 8 or 9 now, I don't know exactly when he was born. Bubbategu2

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
LOL Well, that is Bobby in the photo with my Tegu! Clifford has a belly, too, most of the time, but that photo was taken in November and he'd not been eating a lot for a couple of months. He also tends to suck his belly in when he is stressed.

clifsaginawbodyshot.jpg

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
MMRR - jif said:
LOL Well, that is Bobby in the photo with my Tegu! Clifford has a belly, too, most of the time, but that photo was taken in November and he'd not been eating a lot for a couple of months. He also tends to suck his belly in when he is stressed.

Oh man, the way that sounds is that I stressed her tegu. :shock: :lol:

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
Technically I don't own one of Bobby's red's yet, I have to wait until spring to get him/her in.

But heres my 8 year old red tegu. Notice the color variation of the tail. Not sure if this helps or anything. lol

DSC00093.jpg

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I went back and looked at Bobby's pictures. I didn't realize before that the little red on the bottom pic was my little Rexie! Here he is now, a little bigger. You're right, Bobby, the black on his back is already looking more red. He also has a bright red spot around one eye that always catches my attention because it looks like a fresh sore.

With tail, in October, I think:

Rexietail.jpg

After the tail accident, taken on New Year's Day:

Rexoutside.jpg

Rkitchen.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member