• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Bonding and happiness

Hi! This is my new guy, skipper (Skippy). He’s clearly just a lil guy so far, and I got him because I learned about them and their intelligence. I want to bond with my guy, and I am worrying myself not knowing how to bond with him. I want him to not be bored, and I want him to feel safe and happy! What are toys I should get him? What items should I get for his enclosure? How often should I spend time with him? When should I walk him?
Above all, what are tips for bonding with him?Please give me all the tips! I want him to love me like I love him and I never want him to be bored!

Attachments

• 58F17287-92DB-4F10-B8B3-134F1DB8C349.jpeg
    58F17287-92DB-4F10-B8B3-134F1DB8C349.jpeg
    856.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 6EB6B57D-374A-4145-99BA-9CFD86441954.jpeg
    6EB6B57D-374A-4145-99BA-9CFD86441954.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 14
  • 7515C6CB-87A4-480A-9A71-4F31D69F9CB5.jpeg
    7515C6CB-87A4-480A-9A71-4F31D69F9CB5.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16

IG:teguzilla

They do like to explore and climb over/under things. I have a cut up small tree in their enclosure. They also have a tub big enough to allow them to soak their entire body. Tegus will soak every single day and you will need to clean this tub out every day bc they love it so much.

I always try to bring food to them and wash/refill their water bowl when they are AWAKE so they can see that I am their parent and their source of nourishment. They are super smart, they figure this out very quickly.

I always pet them when i'm in their enclosure and i talk to them like they are human kids. Sounds cheesy but i also tell them they are beautiful and i thank them for the eggs they lay (yes I have baby tegus that hatched).

looks like you are doing a great job!

IG:teguzilla

Hi! This is my new guy, skipper (Skippy). He’s clearly just a lil guy so far, and I got him because I learned about them and their intelligence. I want to bond with my guy, and I am worrying myself not knowing how to bond with him. I want him to not be bored, and I want him to feel safe and happy! What are toys I should get him? What items should I get for his enclosure? How often should I spend time with him? When should I walk him?
Above all, what are tips for bonding with him
?Please give me all the tips! I want him to love me like I love him and I never want him to be bored!

oh to add to my post... I also let them roam free in my backyard when i'm out there doing general yard work or whatever.

They just follow me around everywhere like a pack of puppies. This is great exercise for them.

They do like to explore and climb over/under things. I have a cut up small tree in their enclosure. They also have a tub big enough to allow them to soak their entire body. Tegus will soak every single day and you will need to clean this tub out every day bc they love it so much.

I always try to bring food to them and wash/refill their water bowl when they are AWAKE so they can see that I am their parent and their source of nourishment. They are super smart, they figure this out very quickly.

I always pet them when i'm in their enclosure and i talk to them like they are human kids. Sounds cheesy but i also tell them they are beautiful and i thank them for the eggs they lay (yes I have baby tegus that hatched).

looks like you are doing a great job!
Thank you so much! I’m going to use everything you said, and it’s not weird at all !! I’m always talking to my little guy. Thank you again!

brunera

You've probably noticed they can still be a bit skittish when they are little. Everything seems like a predator and wants to eat them when they're small but they usually mellow as they grow. I found that if I just sit quietly with mine in a small area of the house that is safe (my bathroom) and let her wander around, she can get more used to my presence without me handling her until she's ready. Now she will wander around but frequently come up to me or climb on my lap like she's checking in with me to make sure I'm still there to keep her safe. Enjoy your new baby!

You've probably noticed they can still be a bit skittish when they are little. Everything seems like a predator and wants to eat them when they're small but they usually mellow as they grow. I found that if I just sit quietly with mine in a small area of the house that is safe (my bathroom) and let her wander around, she can get more used to my presence without me handling her until she's ready. Now she will wander around but frequently come up to me or climb on my lap like she's checking in with me to make sure I'm still there to keep her safe. Enjoy your new baby!
Tysm!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602