• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Bonding.

Lutchmom

Hello, we bought a red tegu on December 14, I'm not sure how old s/he is because we got it from a per store. They bought it in August. I'm guessing it's 5-6 months old. We had it in an aquarium but it was aggressive while in it, and I felt it didn't have enough room to move around. We just moved it to its own room. There are two basking spots and a humid box with substrate. My question is, will he naturally calm down and enjoy our company or is this something I'm going to have to force? We are able to (sometimes) pet him, and my daughter has been able to pick it up. But most of the time it huffs and puffs at us and whips its tail. If I back away when he does this, am i teaching him to trust me, or that he's the boss? Any tips are appreciated

Attachments

• 20181213_201727.jpg
    20181213_201727.jpg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 53

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wouldn't back away .... just as soon as you see its change to defensive mode stop exactly where you are,then wait for the huffing and mouth gaping to stop, then gently move closer again....I'd call it more gentle persuasion gettingh gradually closer and closer over the weeks until you can touch.

Vestathetegu

Hello, we bought a red tegu on December 14, I'm not sure how old s/he is because we got it from a per store. They bought it in August. I'm guessing it's 5-6 months old. We had it in an aquarium but it was aggressive while in it, and I felt it didn't have enough room to move around. We just moved it to its own room. There are two basking spots and a humid box with substrate. My question is, will he naturally calm down and enjoy our company or is this something I'm going to have to force? We are able to (sometimes) pet him, and my daughter has been able to pick it up. But most of the time it huffs and puffs at us and whips its tail. If I back away when he does this, am i teaching him to trust me, or that he's the boss? Any tips are appreciated
I have had my tegu since September, and had the same issues. I sat in her enclosure for about an hour every day, for about a month. It seems silly, but once I sort of ignored her and read a book or played in my phone, she started to become more curious. It takes a lot of patience, but she eventually started to climb on me and let me touch her more. She is currently asleep on my bed :). I was very doubtful and stressed that maybe she didn’t like me, but your tegu will warm up to you, as long as you are gentle and slow and patient. Believe me, they are soooo worth it

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have had my tegu since September, and had the same issues. I sat in her enclosure for about an hour every day, for about a month. It seems silly, but once I sort of ignored her and read a book or played in my phone, she started to become more curious. It takes a lot of patience, but she eventually started to climb on me and let me touch her more. She is currently asleep on my bed :). I was very doubtful and stressed that maybe she didn’t like me, but your tegu will warm up to you, as long as you are gentle and slow and patient. Believe me, they are soooo worth it
AND they get curious.

What I did on my Tiberius he is almost a year old the first time I adopted him from Tegusonly.com. For a week I put some of my old clothes inside his cage to get use of my scent. After 3 days I tempted him to eat outside his cage me present next to him. The next day I let him roam the room me present. In 5th days he came to me to climb up the table. After Two weeks of doing the same routine he climb to my body and he suddenly stop at my chest. Then he let me touch him for the first. Ever since I let him come to me and I never approach him to pick him up. After six months our relationship progress for be able to approach n pick him up slowly. It’s worth it. I don’t pet him like my dog. He choose to approach me and touch him. I’m okay with kind of relationship. This week I’m going to try the next level of relationship to pick him up. I bought a pair of heavy duty hand gloves just Incase. But first I put the glove inside his cage to get use of the scent. Eventually once he is use of being pick up, I’ll be able to remove the gloves. Now, that is Argentine Tegu. A Colombian Tegus are a bit more aggressive behavior.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980