• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Bowl Movement Emergency

Today my girl pooped and her poop was runny. This did not really concern me until I saw that part of what appeared to be her colon was hanging out. I pushed it back in and she went to poop again. Once again it came out again and she tried to drag it off. I pushed it in again, but I think she wants to get down and do it again. Can someone help me understand what is going on?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Well - I did have a problem with my male when he had an impaction. I had to make sure he was getting more water, and started squirting fish oil into all his food. Most of the time, it takes care of itself (from what I've read) but it should be watched, because you don't want it to be out so long that it dries out. Then it's a problem that they can't fix themselves. I don't think it hurts to gently encourage it to go back inside. Obviously super carefully.

Watch for her water intake. Give her fish oil - I just squirted it right onto his thawed mouse. Mine love the ground turkey, but I've always wondered if there is enough fat in the product. I don't buy lean, but I still think they need more.

Just my opinion, but this situation can become serious if you don't figure out what's causing her to strain so much. Most often, this is a lack of something in her diet. Catch it early, and she'll be fine. Trying more water (douse your thawed mice until they're soaking wet) and more oil can't hurt anything. When my male had the problem, I was pouring water on his nose to get him to drink more. He did start lapping it up, and I still offer that to him.

Btw - when my male was dehydrated, his tongue got very grey instead of pink. Should be visible to you.

Well - I did have a problem with my male when he had an impaction. I had to make sure he was getting more water, and started squirting fish oil into all his food. Most of the time, it takes care of itself (from what I've read) but it should be watched, because you don't want it to be out so long that it dries out. Then it's a problem that they can't fix themselves. I don't think it hurts to gently encourage it to go back inside. Obviously super carefully.

Watch for her water intake. Give her fish oil - I just squirted it right onto his thawed mouse. Mine love the ground turkey, but I've always wondered if there is enough fat in the product. I don't buy lean, but I still think they need more.

Just my opinion, but this situation can become serious if you don't figure out what's causing her to strain so much. Most often, this is a lack of something in her diet. Catch it early, and she'll be fine. Trying more water (douse your thawed mice until they're soaking wet) and more oil can't hurt anything. When my male had the problem, I was pouring water on his nose to get him to drink more. He did start lapping it up, and I still offer that to him.

Btw - when my male was dehydrated, his tongue got very grey instead of pink. Should be visible to you.
Thanks for the info. She seems okay right now. All I feed mine is a mix I make of Turkey, Talapia, Mizzouri mix, vitamins and calcium. Every once in a while I will give her some boiled egg. I think she may have eaten some of her substrate and that caused it.

Time will tell.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Food sounds good - I give raw egg from organic chickens, but only 2, maybe 3 times a week. Been doing that for over a year and they love that treat. I've read that they won't have a problem with raw egg unless they are overdosed with it. Like daily, or more. I've cut mine back a bit. They do very well on the frozen mice (or other rodents - whole prey). Everyone on this forum will agree that it's one of the healthiest for Tegus.

Glad she's doing better! Maybe she got it out of her system.

Food sounds good - I give raw egg from organic chickens, but only 2, maybe 3 times a week. Been doing that for over a year and they love that treat. I've read that they won't have a problem with raw egg unless they are overdosed with it. Like daily, or more. I've cut mine back a bit. They do very well on the frozen mice (or other rodents - whole prey). Everyone on this forum will agree that it's one of the healthiest for Tegus.

Glad she's doing better! Maybe she got it out of her system.
I have given her a raw egg once or twice. I also give her boiled eggs, because she seems to really like them. Do you, or anyone else in the forum, feel that boiled eggs are ok or not ok??

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
many will agree that boiled eggs are better .... I don't believe there's any difference personally

I also think that turkey mince doesn't have enough fat in it either especially if your only teaming it up with fish and egg.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I've never done boiled egg - only raw, which is what they're (wild caughts) getting in trouble for in Fla. I agree with Alpha about the gnd turkey not having enough fat, but Walter1 got me to give fish oil a while back, and I think that compensates for the lack of fat.

I've been doing raw egg for a long time, but I don't do it daily, more like 3X a week. Also, I really think it's good common sense that you vary their meal size. Just keeps things more natural...unless their very young. I can already tell that my 7 month old female is starting to rest longer between meals, and is eating more. I've already started just giving her a thawed hopper mouse inbetween big meal days instead of all the other variety. She ate a good bit of avocado today - she's not a picky eater....hooray for me. (Neither of my Tegus are that fond of chicken liver...they'll eat the gizzards, and heart, but only a bite or two of the liver.) My 2 yr old male only eats every other day, with the occasional raw egg on the off days.
'
Tegus def have individual differences. Skully won't touch fruit - I've heard others comment that fruit's their Tegus favorite. Skully also looks at bugs/worms like they're beneath him....my young female will eat super worms 'til the cows come home.
They are both from the same area of Florida.

Merlot

So basically your tegu has a minor prolapse in this. I’m a pro at fixing this one. Get your water bath ready for Luke warm water and put your table in there if you have a showerhead gently hit the rectal area with the showerhead to remove all the substrate stuck to it so that the rectum looks pink again let them sit in the water for a little bit, and literally pour in regular sugar into the bathwater Around the area that they finally settle down and because they will be squirmy, The sugar is the secret I promise you, and get a Q-tip of Vaseline and you can gently rub around the affected area and gently place your Tegu back in the water and it will probably go back in on its own with a mixture of sugar water in the Vaseline and if it doesn’t very very gently rub the pink part and do not push in too hard

Also as soon as you can see them drag their butts, Cloaca, on the ground after pooping that is the key indicator to pull them out of the cage if you are around before they damage the rectum and put him in bath right away

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi