• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Brand new here!

TannersTegu

Hi! I and Tanners mom. We have a 4 month old b&w Tegu! I was wondering if you all could post a pic of your set up where your tegu lives! Thanks!! Here are a couple pics of our girl Lollipop!
95B0D6D2-142A-44B7-B7AF-DF6A44A25469.jpeg
B2B224A3-1543-45B3-9212-865E77734D4D.jpeg

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Hey!! Welcome to the forum! There's a lot of good people to help with your Tegu efforts - You have a cute little bug, and already the tell tale scratches of a Tegu owner.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Lol - well - they get a lot worse, but I don't know anyone that backs away because of them. I don't know how old your son is, but it might be 2 weeks or so before they become bloody scratches. They're not that bad, but a young boy might think so.

Goobygrl

We have a B/W Tegu and we are new to owning one. His name is Godzookie. We can't afford a vet and would like suggestions. He has been acting weird. Not eating and actively acting like he is gasping for air. Checked his throat and we don't see anything lodged. What do we do???

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Gasping for air would scare me... a lot. When Tegus are new, they generally freak out and are very defensive while they try to understand their new digs. They can stop eating, act aggressively (scared), and can really freak out the new owner that thinks they should be buds already. They really take quite a while to get to that trusting stage, and it comes from the owner that can be patient, and not force or rush the animal. Could you be confusing huffing and puffing, even spitting, for "gasping for air" when you're trying to engage with him? That is their way of telling you to back off, or else. If he's calmly by himself, and gasping for air, I'd find a vet whether you can afford it or not.

Goobygrl

Gasping for air would scare me... a lot. When Tegus are new, they generally freak out and are very defensive while they try to understand their new digs. They can stop eating, act aggressively (scared), and can really freak out the new owner that thinks they should be buds already. They really take quite a while to get to that trusting stage, and it comes from the owner that can be patient, and not force or rush the animal. Could you be confusing huffing and puffing, even spitting, for "gasping for air" when you're trying to engage with him? That is their way of telling you to back off, or else. If he's calmly by himself, and gasping for air, I'd find a vet whether you can afford it or not.
I appreciate your help and opinions. Unfortunately our Godzooky didn't make it home from the vets. The vet thinks it was major but since we couldn't afford tests and x-rays, he did what he could but he didn't make it home. He will forever be with us because we are having him cremated and he will forever be in our hearts. It breaks our hearts but we know he is nor suffering anymore. He was so young

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
So so so sorry Goob....I lost a blue tegu that was about 12". It happened about 3 yrs ago and honestly, it's amazing how fast they can grab your heart. I should be over it by now, and I'm sure I am for the most part. Funny though, how my thoughts still go back to him and remember our moments together sitting at the fireplace and letting him warm himself on the brick.

He really will be in your hearts, and that's a good thing. So sorry for your loss.

Godzilla Earth

I appreciate your help and opinions. Unfortunately our Godzooky didn't make it home from the vets. The vet thinks it was major but since we couldn't afford tests and x-rays, he did what he could but he didn't make it home. He will forever be with us because we are having him cremated and he will forever be in our hearts. It breaks our hearts but we know he is nor suffering anymore. He was so young
That is horrible! I hope he is in a better place

Enderwigginout

Attachments

• 148DF729-735D-4C1A-8549-B47693E0F5FF.jpeg
    148DF729-735D-4C1A-8549-B47693E0F5FF.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • CCD9B001-F519-4DF7-8A71-E29336DB2F03.jpeg
    CCD9B001-F519-4DF7-8A71-E29336DB2F03.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics