• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Breeder Of Blue's ???

KrazyReptileGirL

Never mind,Bobby already answered me:

Blue tegus that are available in the pet trade are not animals that I desire as a breeder, or promote as pets. They are very inbred, due to the very small gene pool that was first imported into the United States. The original animals were said to be a very small number of six hatchlings. These were imported as Tupinambis teguixin, but were found by the importer to be unlike the normal Tupinambis teguixin they were received before. This makes these animals very prone to undesirable traits, thus the albinism, toes that do not bend, over bites and under bites, also blindness has been found to be very present in these animals.There have never been any other Blue tegus imported into the United States except these very few; this is something to keep in mind when choosing your animal.

Thanks, Bobby Hill, Owner,

www.Varnyard-Herps-Inc.com

www.TegusForSale.com

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hahaha, wow. Ive seen many blues around and my blue included that have NONE of the above deformities. If you want a blue, get a blue from a reliable breeder. Don't listen to one mans word when you have several that will say blues are great. Not trying to come off as harsh, but buy what you want. The blues are gonna be tougher to find and pricier, but all the ones I've seen were in fine health. Has it ever occurred to anyone that inbreeding happens in several occasions in the wild when these animals are confined to smaller locations? Man, it's common sense. (I wasnt directing that at you KrazyReptileGirl).

kellen.watkins

That and a lot of people who used to breed them don't. Sisco reptiles used to breed blues but don't. Ron st pierre used to and doesn't. I think underground does but didn't put out any clutches this year. And a member on this forum has before but didn't this year. STL herps has bred them as well but sold his blues off. So I don't think they are so rare so much as the amount breeded has drastically went down. As far as the 6 or 7 blues that all blues came from I think is more myth. I have seen many wildlife shots/videos of blue tegus. I'm not saying its not true just can't be sure (hence myth lol)

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Exactly. Russ Gurley and Wil Combs will be breeding blues this year, I've emailed the both of them. I don't know about DaveDragon though.

naturboy87

I agree with (Tegubuzz) look at my blue tegu he is beutiful feet, face, tail, skin, vishion, strangth, smarts, and much moor the blue tegus in my upinon can have problems but meny now have ben bred w others like reds and extreams and pure B&w expanding the jeen pool making each blue now much deferent then the original few . also makeing inbreeding much harder than it seems most animals can handle 3 to 4 inbreeds befor the DNA starts to have poblems and over lap and fall apart .

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
KrazyReptileGirL said:

Blue tegus that are available in the pet trade are not animals that I desire as a breeder, or promote as pets. They are very inbred, due to the very small gene pool that was first imported into the United States. The original animals were said to be a very small number of six hatchlings. These were imported as Tupinambis teguixin, but were found by the importer to be unlike the normal Tupinambis teguixin they were received before. This makes these animals very prone to undesirable traits, thus the albinism, toes that do not bend, over bites and under bites, also blindness has been found to be very present in these animals.There have never been any other Blue tegus imported into the United States except these very few; this is something to keep in mind when choosing your animal.

www.TegusForSale.com

When did you get this response? Was it by email or PM?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
james.w said:
KrazyReptileGirL said:

www.TegusForSale.com

James, this should answer your question.
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7708#axzz1fBz0TmQl

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
TeguBuzz said:
james.w said:
KrazyReptileGirL said:

www.TegusForSale.com

James, this should answer your question.
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7708#axzz1fBz0TmQl

It looks like she copy/pasted a email/pm response since the post you linked doesn't have the salutation or Bobbys links. Otherwise she is getting info that is over 4 years old.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ah yea, well the link I posted is almost exactly what he said, but as you stated, does not have the closing salutations. I guess we'll see what she says.

kellen.watkins

Its a shame there aren't as many breeders for blues anymore I wanted a baby blue really bad I got eli and he will do but I absolutely love the bright white blue tegus. And to piggy back on what tegubuzz said I have never seen or heard of blues with these problems with the exception of the albinos but correct me if I'm wrong albinos are infamous for bad eyesight?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
kellen.watkins said:
Its a shame there aren't as many breeders for blues anymore I wanted a baby blue really bad I got eli and he will do but I absolutely love the bright white blue tegus. And to piggy back on what tegubuzz said I have never seen or heard of blues with these problems with the exception of the albinos but correct me if I'm wrong albinos are infamous for bad eyesight?

Bad eyesight is about all that's wrong with most of them. I've seen and heard of albinos that lived very good lives though, even with bad eyesight. There are vids on YouTube of Fifi the albino blue tegu, in fine health, but with poor vision.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I dont think Dave breeds them anymore. I asked wil about blues but he said his didn't breed this year. I think he said he was going to try for next year but I am not 100% sure. The guy I got my hybrid from has bred his blues in the past, I think he had one blue clutch this year. His name is Chris Allen. I am not familiar with beardie breeders but from what I've read he's well known in the beardie community. He was not the person who produced my hybrid though.

Sirhc401

Albinism occurs in the wild along with in captive Reptiles. A gene mutation that does often come with health problems like blindness. However, seeing an albino animal in the wild is near impossible because they get picked up by predators easily. However, I do not see the problem with blues nor have I heard them having problems, they are simply a genetic mutation much like the extreme giants which are bred to be large. Blue tegus are white or blue. So what? There is no proof of inbreeding

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
KrazyReptileGirL said:
why is it so hard to find?

More hatch lings are available around this time of year but they're sold quick. Every so often through out the year you'll see people selling theirs but you'll pay more for them. Unless you have a bit of money to invest on an older Blue it's best to find a breeder and keep in contact for one of their babies.

Some are prone to kinking from what I've seen but Albinos on the other hand have way more issues than just your typical Blue. Their (albinos) main issue is light and how it's processed, not processing UVB correctly for reptiles that actually need it,.. only adds to it. As long as Albino Tegus have been around you'd think you would see more, but you don't. That should tell you something.

Health issues plus supply and demand usually don't add up. A question I had to ask myself,.. Why would you want to pay over $1000 for an animal that most likely won't make it through it's first year. I'm not saying it can't be done,.. you have a few videos here and there (check dates) on you tube of adult albinos but not with out issues. Albinism depending on the type in most animals is an issue in it's self. Visual defects or not, depending on the severity most people are willing to over look it. That's when money and Egos come in to play

KrazyReptileGirL

TeguBuzz said:
Exactly. Russ Gurley and Wil Combs will be breeding blues this year, I've emailed the both of them. I don't know about DaveDragon though.

whats the price range usually?

TeguBuzz said:
Ah yea, well the link I posted is almost exactly what he said, but as you stated, does not have the closing salutations. I guess we'll see what she says.

sorry guys,i emailed him and copied and pasted his response,hope im not getting any one in trouble here,i just wanted more info and opinions. i left out the part of email of him advertising next years tegus.

RamblinRose

5 Year Member
With the exception of albino blue, there is not one imperfection anyone has listed here or can list that cannot occur in other tegus, besides the blues. These things can happen to ANY type of tegu.... and "most" everything listed here is due to poor incubation or a malformed egg/eggs from the start.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
KrazyReptileGirL said:
james.w said:
So his email response was recent?

yes,why is this a big deal? just curious? im really no trying to make enemies of him or anyone else here.

He's been almost impossible to get a hold of and chooses not to inform others of what's going on with the red tegus many people have placed a deposit on. They were due a few months ago and people are beginning to think they've lost their deposits. Nobody is trying to make enemies, they just want a response.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam