• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Broken tail

Gandolf38

Help!! My baby red's tail came off, and I'm worried--betadine, blood stop, and polysporin were applied, and I gave him pedialyte. Any other suggestions? :huh:

I am very concerned that he may become dehydrated; I know they do drop their tails if they have to, but he's such a little guy--only 13in, and about 2 1/2in came off. How can I be sure it heals correctly??

A Very Worried Mama

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Gandolf38 said:
Thank you, I am a little surprised that no one has chimed in yet

You have nothing to worrie about, your tegu will be fine and the tail will grow back, it won't be as nice as it was, but it will grow another tail. Just leave it alone, he will be just fine.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can they come off at any age or is it just a baby/juvie thing?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
rhetoricx said:
Can they come off at any age or is it just a baby/juvie thing?

They can loose the tail at any age, however I have never seen a tegu drop it's tail by itself, you got to pull on it to make it loose it.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure they can come off at any age, they use it as a defense mechanism if a predator grabs their tail.

Gandolf38

VARNYARD said:
Gandolf38 said:
Thank you, I am a little surprised that no one has chimed in yet

You have nothing to worrie about, your tegu will be fine and the tail will grow back, it won't be as nice as it was, but it will grow another tail. Just leave it alone, he will be just fine.

Oh, thank you so much, Bobby, I appreciate it! I am a little obsessive when it comes to my pets, and I've been just sick with worry since it happened earlier today. These forums have been such a lifesaver everytime I use them; appreciate all the advice and info!!!!:)

Gandolf38

james.w said:
How did it come off?

I'm embarrassed to say this, but he got away and started to run under a lounge chair that he could get hurt in if he got up inside it; I grabbed for him on instinct, and was left with a piece of his tail in my hand...it broke my heart:(

I was able to get him out from underneath it before he had a chance to go all the way inside the chair, though. Then I spent the next 40min doctoring his poor tail and crying because I had accidentally hurt my pet:(

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yikes, that makes me a bit nervous.. I know I shouldn't do it either but my tegu almost got behind something today, he was halfway under and all I could grab was the base of his tail, I didn't tug hard or anything just enough to get a bit more of the body out so I could grab him.. Now I know the adults can/will drop 'em too! Scary!
Don't feel too bad! I would be upset too if it happened to me but it could be worse! I'm glad your tegus alright! Its a learning experience!

Moofins

It was an accident, don't worry. You shouldn't feel bad for trying to protect the little guy.

However, grabbing ANY animal by the tail unnecessarily and on purpose has always struck a sour note with me.

Not too long ago, I watched a video on Youtube of some guy showing off his male red. It was a gorgeous red; vivid, deep color, healthy weight. But aside from that, every time the 'gu tried to move somewhere, the guy would grab it by the middle of its tail and drag it back across the bathroom floor.

THAT is what irks me. But what happened to your 'gu was by pure accident. It happens.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Gandolf38 said:
james.w said:
How did it come off?

I'm embarrassed to say this, but he got away and started to run under a lounge chair that he could get hurt in if he got up inside it; I grabbed for him on instinct, and was left with a piece of his tail in my hand...it broke my heart:(

I was able to get him out from underneath it before he had a chance to go all the way inside the chair, though. Then I spent the next 40min doctoring his poor tail and crying because I had accidentally hurt my pet:(

That would've FREAKED me out...holding the tail and all. I TOTALLY understand your reaction--I'd feel the same way.

Gandolf38

Thank you all SO much for the comments and concern; it does help me to feel a little better, since it was an accident. It DID freak me out to be holding the end of his broken tail. I cannot believe the YouTube video, that really irks me that someone would just regularly hold their 'gu by their tail; that's just cruel!!

My Red is better today, I'm giving him Pedialyte again today, and he did eat, so he seems fine. Full of energy. It made me sad to see his poor tail, though.

Thanks again to all of you for the support:)

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Hopefully the tail grows back smoothly,although it won't be like it was before.

I believe i know the video. I think there is a certain way you can grasp the base of the tail to re direct or pick them up,and if i remember correctly the guy was just grabbing it by the base of the tail and re directing him. With adults,unless your really pulling and scaring them,i don't think they'll drop it.

Mind you i have not seen this video in a few months,so my memory of it is not good. And my post is mostly theory,from things i read and seen.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't see anything wrong with using the base of the tail for handling/redirecting. I don't think losing the tail would cause dehydration. And since he is eating he is probably not bothered much by the situation.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Like already stated your Gu will be fine and no need to feel too bad. By that I mean don't let it get you down too much. It was an accident,.. it happens and can happen to any one of us

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam