• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Can a baby tegu hibernate without burying herself???

Joerob568

Hi,
I received my AA Tegu from Varnyard in early Sept. I put her in the enclosure to let her calm down and get acclimated. She hid right under the cat litter pan I have in there for water and swimming. After a few days I tried feeding and she wouldn't eat. She continued to hide under the water bowl for days at a time and I would have to change the water, which would disturb her so I'd try to feed and she still wouldn't eat. After a few weeks of this I spoke to Bobby who said she is trying to hibernate, so I turned off the UV overhead light and the heat and left her alone. She never comes out until I need to change the water and then she's out for a few hours before going back under. I ever tried removing the large cat litter pan and using a small water bowl, but she got under that too! She hasn't eaten in a month easy and she only comes out when I change the water. The lights and heat have been off for about a week now. I have substrate in there (repti-bark) more than enough for her to get under. I have even attempted to bury her with the substrate when I move the water bowl and move the bowl. Basically what I'm asking is will she be ok hibernating without being buried and getting disturbed every week or so? I can't just leave the still water in there so I have to change it. Should I just leave the lights and heat off until spring and keep changing the water bowl once a week? Thanks for your help!

frost

1,000+ Post Club
when you turn the heat off you;re supposed to do it gradaually. as for not being under the substrate my extreme didnt bury itself for a a month or so when it hybernated,so it will be fine.=]

TeguBlake

Well she might still need the heat if she isn't buried, she might and might not be hibernating. My little guy likes it make a huge burrow hole in the corner of his cage, he is hibernationg right now. Just don't let her get cold bro, she should be fine. Just take care of her and she will be fine

Logie_Bear

Why do you keep removing the water // how much water are you keeping in there?

If you have a bowl of water, its not going to stagnate in a few days, plus if you are keeping a heatsource on it will evaporate. Just pour in fresh water as it evaporates and that way you dont have to remove the dish and disturb her.

TeguBlake

Logie_Bear said:

If you have a bowl of water, its not going to stagnate in a few days, plus if you are keeping a heatsource on it will evaporate. Just pour in fresh water as it evaporates and that way you dont have to remove the dish and disturb her.

Well if the heat source is near by

Skeetzy

Maybe try a ceramic heat emitter if you want to turn all lights off. That's what I'm slowly working towards for my dragon and tegu.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Empty out the water bowl she hides under, and put it back in. Then go get another water bowl, fill it, and put it somewhere else in the enclosure. That way you won't be waking it up every time you go to change the water.

KABIKANO

Make sure the water bowl is on top of the bare bottom of the enclosure NOT the substrate so she cant burrow under it.

Joerob568

Logie_Bear said:

I have no heat source or over head lights on any more. I turned everything off for hibernation. She only comes out when I move the water and only stays out for a short period. I'm hoping she is buried now and not under there again. I just a basic water dish in there now. And I have been changing it roughly weekly. Thanks for all the input I feel better about it now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced