• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Can anyone spot what Bella is hunting for?

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Yup, its a bioactive enclosure so she has snails, superworms, roaches and earthworms in there to forage through. I through about 30 snails in there the other day and shes still on the go! I breed the snails so they are detoxed and parasite free.

oh and thats a really humid foggy glass, not dirty. lol

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
What type of substrate is preferred for bio active enclosures?,...and does this mean you buy various insects and just toss them in and allow the tegu to do the foraging for them?

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
I use a topsoil/peat moss mix. Its about 8inches in the deepest part although I would prefer deeper. I collected leaf litter and rotten logs from outdoors that contain all kinds of isopods, wood lice and other bugs that help clean up. I added roaches, supers and snails. Poops and left over food disappears quickly and they dig and forage a lot more.

misterpc23

5 Year Member
I use a topsoil/peat moss mix. Its about 8inches in the deepest part although I would prefer deeper. I collected leaf litter and rotten logs from outdoors that contain all kinds of isopods, wood lice and other bugs that help clean up. I added roaches, supers and snails. Poops and left over food disappears quickly and they dig and forage a lot more.
Youre not worried about accidently bring in other things on the log like mold spores or harmful insects? I tried using moss from outside and the first thing my tegu tried to do was eat it haha

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Youre not worried about accidently bring in other things on the log like mold spores or harmful insects? I tried using moss from outside and the first thing my tegu tried to do was eat it haha
Thats what bioactive soil is all about! mold spores won't exist in the high temps. neither do termites but we dont really have those where im at anyways.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Im not sure. Im not an iguana person however I would think having access to bugs to eat wouldn't be good for an iguana.

So can i use Wild caught isopods in my tegus terrarium?

Would I be able to use wild isopods from outside without issues then?

Would I be able to use wild isopods from outside without issues then?
I've done it with 0 issue so far, actually, I thought my Tegu ate all of them (he's only 3 months) lol.. and then one day recently I was moving some of his decor so I could clean the tank, when I noticed a little colony of isopods somehow sprouted from the depths!

Good news would be that once they colonize, you no longer have to worry about finding outdoor critters that may have pesticides and other icky stuff that could harm your Gu.

Bad news would be, you're still taking a chance depending on where you live. I live in a suburb, so my yard doesn't get sprayed much if at all, however neighbors should be taken into consideration.

I'd say go for it, but maybe give em a quick rinse (don't drown them lol)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced