• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Can you help me sex our Tegu?

Michelle McKeown

Hi all, we adopted our lovely Tegu about 4 months ago, we were told by previous owners that's he's male and just over 3 years old.
We have been busy building trust and settling him in, he's normally very active and has free roam however we built him a new hide and over the past two weeks he's hardly been out and slowing down eating so we think he's going into brumation.
I managed to get a few photos prior to him burying himself and his hide and wanted your thoughts on sex? Am not convinced he a he
IMG_20190425_135952.jpg
IMG_20190425_135951.jpg
IMG_20190423_185731.jpg
IMG_20190423_185744.jpg

Any help from a trained eye would be greatly appreciated as would love to have a breeding pair in the future

firfy

Does it have any jowls because by 3 yrs they should show jowls, even if the jowls are kinda small (if male)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Does it have any jowls because by 3 yrs they should show jowls, even if the jowls are kinda small (if male)

My question, too. Beat me to it! The tegu is a WC firebelly from S. Florida. A three yr old male, if it is three years old, will have discernible jowls.

That aside, the telltale scale look enlarged to me = male.

Michelle McKeown

Thanks for replying.
I have attached a recent photo showing his jowls, this is what throwing me as his jowls are really small considering he's 3.
Do you think he would be WC even if am in the UK?

Attachments

• IMG_20190611_071421.jpg
    IMG_20190611_071421.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Not an expert here but also being in the UK and a member of a UK group it seams that blue and blue x are very popular over here which do naturally have smaller jowls.

Is there no sperm plugs (stringy, sticky and white) in his poo.
But does look male to me but don't take that too literal as I say no expert here.

Welcome by the way to the fellow Brit, where are you?

Michelle McKeown

Hi he is a difficult one to sex, doesn't help he's starting to brumate so doesn't want to get any photos taken.
There are no sperm plugs either in his urinates or feaces
Nice to meet a fellow Brit Tegu keeper (not many of us around ) am in Liverpool

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Not sure about brumating and plugs as mine is a Colombian and doesn't brumate but my personnel thought is that it wouldn't make a difference.

I'm sure someone will have a better idea and chip in though...haha

waves from across the Pennines in Wakefield, South Leeds.

Michelle McKeown

I was reading something the other day about brumation effecting reproduction, cant seem to find the article which is typical.

Your not to far away, hope your enjoying the week of rain :(

firfy

Thanks for replying.
I have attached a recent photo showing his jowls, this is what throwing me as his jowls are really small considering he's 3.
Do you think he would be WC even if am in the UK?
You are right, his jowls are kinda small, they should be way more noticeable if male also are you sure its 3 yrs

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
some full body pics of him with something in the back ground so we can judge size and build may help?

Yes not too far and Yes its great summer weather at the min too :mad: haha

Zyn

Looks like a female Florida fire belly and yes they are easily caught from the invasive population and exported to the UK

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam