• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Can your Chameleon "talk" to you??

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Our Veiled Chameleon has learned to tell me when he's hungry. In the morning, while I'm getting dressed, I talk to him and if he's hungry he'll come down to his salad bowl. Then he'll look at the bowl and look at me, repeating this many times until I get the hint.

None of our other reptiles, including the Tegu's, do this. Our dog doesn't do it, but the cats will.

Has anyone else seen behavior like this??

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have had reptiles do similar things, but never a Chameleon! I used to have 2 Sunburst Veiled Chameleons, but while a friend of mine (a guy who 4 years ago used to be my football coach) was baby sitting them for a while....oh I forgot to mention he was a professional Chameleon breeder....anyway, while he was taking care of them, one of them died from internal parasites traced back to a batch of bad crickets from Petco, and believe it or not, HE (the Ex-football coach) died. Unfortunately, I was never able to recover the other Chameleon, as no one knew what had been done with it.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, many of my herps associate tongs with food, bowls too. I've never had a chameleon do this though.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I have found that most chameleons are very smart. The big Melleri are almost as smart as a parrot. This is why I love chameleons. I don't own any at the moment but I am working to remedy that. My male veiled would do that. When he wanted water he would watch every move you made until you hooked hiom up with a drink. He liked to have his squirted in his mouth.

Luvmytegu

5 Year Member
LOL That is so funny...My veiled is almost 7 months, and when she sees me coming in the morning, she perches on the top vine in her enclosure on her hind legs and it looks like she's begging...it is so cute!

bella60407

5 Year Member
my cham is about 10 mo. old and for the last 3 mo. he has established a toilet in his cage. he only goes in one spot it so awesome. i put a flat rock under the area and when its overloaded i take out the rock and wash it off. hes potty trained

ThePHX

5 Year Member
bella60407 said:
my cham is about 10 mo. old and for the last 3 mo. he has established a toilet in his cage. he only goes in one spot it so awesome. i put a flat rock under the area and when its overloaded i take out the rock and wash it off. hes potty trained

Now thats pretty lucky! Mine would go all over the place, whereever they please!

Reflektr

5 Year Member
I'm not sure if any other veiled keepers have experienced this, but I've felt my chameleon vibrate on more than one occasion. It feels comparable to a cell-phone on silent mode lol. The first time I felt it, it was very prominent, and he was a little bit grumpy, so I assumed the vibration was related to being distressed. Well a few nights ago, we had him out around bedtime, and instead of crawling back in his cage like he normally does when he wants to go home, he came towards me while I was surfing the web on the laptop. He perched himself on my hand while I hunt-and-pecked with the free one. After a little bit, I felt his little "motor" pulse every now and then. It startled me at first lol. I looked down and expected to see him in his war-paint, but he had his happy-colors goin' on - along with his eyes closed like he was sleeping. It almost reminded me of a slight "purring" when it occurred. I found it's actually called infrasound, and there are only a few species of old-world chameleons that really do it. Apparently they use it to communicate with each other, as the vibration seems to resonate easily through tree branches. Thought you may find that interesting!

-Travis

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced