• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

catfish nuggets

boygenius

5 Year Member
does anyone know if it's ok to feed tegus catfish?..

my supermarket sells catfish that's already pre-cut and i was just wondering.

there's also tilapia, but i don't really feel like cutting fish

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I don't think so. They put some weird stuff on fish/shellfish to preserve it in the supermarket. Especially shrimp have a coating of something inorganic (can't remember the name). If you were to use fish, I'd go to an Asian market and buy bulk frozen.

playlboi

5 Year Member
i know that many fish on the market are farm raised. unless it is stated otherwise. and these fish are fed a diet of some form that increases their growth rate tremendously.

now if that diet includes chemicals and other substances i don't know, but i'm sure it has something to make them grow faster for market. so i wouldn't mess with that kind of stuff. some sellers state that their fish are natural, i'd go with that. but it might be a bit more expensive.

and shiftylarry, i second you on that shrimp thing. i do know they have some kind of coating on them, i forgot what too though.

best bet would to go the lake and fish out some

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Be careful about the lakes you choose though. Bio-accumulation can occur within your tegu so make sure there are no pollutants in the area.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you can find a fresh food market....for exaple, every Saturday, a few minutes from my house, we have an "open market." Everything is caught fresh, never frozen...anyway, I think that might e your best bet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wayneboy88